Parent scores game winning goal for the Lancers
NEW HAMPTON, NH - Sophomore Michaila Parent (Westborough, MA) scored the game-winning goal with 1:41 remaining Saturday afternoon to lead Worcester State University to a 4-3 victory over Plymouth State University in Little East Conference field hockey action at the New Hampton School field.
Parent weaved through the Panther defense and past the goalie and fired the game-winner in from the left side. The Lancer win snapped PSU's six-game winning streak. WSU is now 7-4 overall and 5-1 in conference play, while the Panthers drop to 6-3 overall and 5-2 in the LEC.
Freshman Olivia Antonelli (Westford, MA) tallied two goals and an assist for Worcester State, while junior Lily Davis (Boscawen, NH) scored two goals for the home team.
New Hampton School, New Hampton, NH. – Saturday, October 1, 2016
Worcester State 4, Plymouth State 3
PSU 6-3 (5-2 LEC); WSU 7-4 (5-1)
- The Lancers scored the first goal of the game at the 14:08 mark when they led a 2-on-1 advantage against the Panthers and sophomore Michaila Parent (Westborough, MA) passed across to the left side of the field and freshman Olivia Antonelli (Westford, MA) slammed it into the net for her eighth goal of the season.
- The Lancers extended their lead to 2-0 at the 22:22 mark when Antonelli sent the ball into the circle and junior Jolane Thibault (Douglas, MA) redirected the ball through traffic into the net for her second goal of the season.
- PSU got on the board with just 40 seconds left in the half when junior Lily Davis (Boscawen, NH) weaved past the goalie on the left side and fired a shot into an open net for her second goal of the season.
- Antonelli tallied her second goal of the game with 20 minutes remaining when she poked a loose ball into the right corner of the net.
- Davis scored for PSU for the second time in the game when her shot from the left side deflected off a defender's stick and over the goalies shoulder into the net.
- PSU senior Kendal Lariviere (Dover, NH) tied the score at 3-3 with five minutes remaining when her shot from the right side snuck inside the left corner.
- WSU goalkeeper Kathryn Salemme (Acton, MA) made eight saves in the win.
- Junior Alivia Bates (Pennsauken, NJ) made her first appearance of the season in the Panther net, making five saves.
Plymouth State will host UMass Dartmouth in conference action on Saturday October 8th at 6:30pm. The Lancers will host Clark University on Thursday October 6th at 7:00pm.