Brouillette scores game-winner for the Owls
NEW HAMPTON, N.H. - Senior Holly Brouillette (Burlington, Mass.) scored the only goal of the game 13 minutes into the second half Saturday morning as Westfield State University defeated Plymouth State University, 1-0, in a key Little East Conference field hockey game at the New Hampton School Field.
Coming into the game the Panthers and the Owls were tied for third place. The Panthers gave a strong defensive effort despite the 1-0 loss to the Owls.
Goalkeeper senior Megan Fountaine (Scituate, MA) had 10 saves in the win for Westfield for her sixth shutout of the year.
New Hampton School, New Hampton, NH. – Saturday, October 15, 2016
Westfield State 1, Plymouth State 0
PSU 7-5 (6-4 LEC); WSU 11-4 (7-3 LEC)
- The Owls scored in the 13th minute of the second half to lead 1-0 when senior Meg Doherty (Mansfield, Mass.) was outside the circle and sent a ball to Brouillette (Burlington, Mass.), who scored from the mouth of the goal.
- PSU finished with a strong defensive effort from freshmen Kate McPherson (Conway, N.H.) and Kylie Ham (Wayland, Mass.), sophomore Patty Newhard (South Dennis, Mass.) and senior Maddy Beatrice (Newton, Mass.) in the loss.
- Defenders junior Delaney Gembis (North Chelmsford, Mass.), senior Alexa Whitney (Athol, MA), junior Rachel Bunce (East Dennis, Mass.) played a strong defensive game for Westfield.
- Goalkeeper junior Alivia Bates (Pennsauken, N.J.) had two saves for the Panthers.
- The PSU Seniors were recognized before the game with their parents (pictured below)
Plymouth State will travel to Thomas College (ME) in non-conference action on Wednesday October 19th at 6:00pm. Westfield State will host Worcester State in conference action on Friday October 21st at 7:00pm.