Silva scores first career goal in setback
WATERVILLE, Maine – Sophomore Kaitlyne Silva (Seekonk, Mass.) scored her first career goal, but Plymouth State University fell to Thomas College, 4-1, in a non-conference field hockey game at Bernatchez Field on Friday evening.
Silva put the Panthers ahead with Silva's goal in the 21st minute, but Thomas answered less than two minutes later to even the count at 1-1 heading into the half. The Terriers pulled in front eight minutes into the second half and added a pair of insurance goals to secure the decision.
Plymouth State falls to 3-7, while Thomas improves to 8-7.
Plymouth State 1, Thomas 4
Plymouth State 3-7
How it Happened:
* Plymouth struck first when junior Kaihley Rafferty (Salem, Conn.) inserted a penalty corner from the left side to classmate Maddie Kabasakalian (Kent, Conn.) at the top of the circle. Kabasakalian pushed the ball toward the goal and it deflected off a Terrier stick to Silva, who fired a shot between the legs of the Thomas goalkeeper.
* The Terriers got the goal right back less than two minutes later. Freshman Lindsey Gregoire (Kennebunk, Maine) collected the ball just inside the top of the circle and, with her back to the goal, went to a backhanded shot that slipped past the dive of PSU sophomore goalkeeper Jess Distler (Brookfield, N.H.).
* Thomas pulled ahead in the 44th minute. The Terriers sent a long pass to freshman Britney Gregoire (Kennebunk, Maine) off a restart. Using strong stick work she got past three PSU defenders before whipping a shot to the left post.
* Junior Kelci Faulkingham gave Thomas some breathing room in the 52nd minute. Sophomore Allie Gregoire inserted a penalty corner from the left side to Faulkingham at the top of the circle and her drive went through traffic and just inside the left post to make it 3-1.
* The Terriers capped the scoring in the 62nd minute off another penalty corner, this time when senior Lindsay Morong (Liberty, Maine) snuck a shot inside the post.
Inside the Numbers:
* Thomas outshot the Panthers by an 11-3 margin.
* Distler made two saves for PSU, falling to 3-7, while junior Leah Kruse (Norridgewock, Maine) improved to 5-3 for Thomas.
* Plymouth State had won six of seven match-ups with the Terriers.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Congrats to Kaitlyne [Silva] on her first collegiate goal," said head coach Bonnie Lord. "A pure hustle into the rebound shot. We are struggling with applying what we are preparing for in practice to the game field. We played a solid first half but couldn't find any flow in the second half. We have to bring practices to games and play a complete 70 minutes of consistent effort and execution."
* Plymouth State travels to UMass Dartmouth for a LEC contest on Tuesday (Oct. 9) at 7:00 p.m.
* Thomas is also in action on Tuesday (Oct. 9), hosting Husson for a North Atlantic Conference (NAC) game at 7:00 p.m.
– 30 –