Wakefield's two third quarter goals lead Panthers to victory
NEW LONDON, N.H. – Junior Haley Wakefield (Norway, Maine) scored a pair of third quarter goals to lead Plymouth State University to a 2-1, come-from-behind victory over Colby-Sawyer College in non-conference field hockey action at Veitch Turf Field on Saturday afternoon.
Wakefield, the Panthers' leading scorer each of the past two years, picked up her first goal of the year in the 32nd minute to even the game at one. She added the game-winner late in the third quarter and PSU held the Chargers off the scoreboard the rest of the way.
Plymouth State improves to 2-1, while the Chargers drop to 1-2.
Plymouth State 2, Colby-Sawyer 1
Plymouth State (2-1)
How it Happened:
- The hosts opened the scoring in the first quarter when Alie Jones converted a feed from Christine Coffield in the 13th minute.
- The Chargers maintained the lead into the half as senior Kaihley Rafferty (Salem, Conn.) was denied on a pair of shots early in the second quarter.
- Wakefield evened the score just 1:47 into the third quarter. The Chargers tried to clear after a shot from freshman Mariah Craigue (Tuftonboro, N.H.) ricocheted off the post, but Wakefield was there to poke it in.
- PSU went ahead when sophomore Kaitlyne Silva (East Providence, R.I.) pushed in a rebound following a penalty corner, and Wakefield found the back of the cage.
Inside the Numbers:
- Wakefield's two goals give her 24 for her career, and an even 50 career points.
- Junior Jess Distler (Brookfield, N.H.) made two saves to improve to 2-1, while her counterpart, Abby Ladd, had six stops for the Chargers.
- Colby-Sawyer took nine penalty corners to the Panthers' two, though one led to Wakefield's game-winning score.
- PSU held a 10-7 lead in shots.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"We were two different teams today," said head coach Bonnie Lord. "We had a good halftime conversation and came around in the second half. It was a great game and helped us to set our measuring stick. I'm very pleased with the outcome."
- PSU opens Little East Conference play next Saturday (Sept. 14) at WestConn, with game time set for 11:00 a.m.
– 30 –