McPherson tallies first goal of season in loss
CASTLETON, Vt. – Junior Kate McPherson (Conway, N.H.) picked up her first goal of the season, but Castleton University used a pair of fourth quarter tallies to earn a 3-1 win over Plymouth State University in a Little East Conference (LEC) field hockey game at Dave Wolk Stadium on Wednesday night.
The Spartans carried a 1-0 lead into the fourth quarter, before doubling the advantage in the frame's first six minutes. McPherson answered for the Panthers less than a minute later, but the hosts tacked on an insurance goal in the 58th minute to earn the win.
Plymouth State falls to 5-6 overall and 3-4 in the LEC, while Castleton improves to 7-4 and 5-1 in conference play.
Plymouth State 1, Castleton 3
Plymouth State (5-6, 3-4 LEC)
Castleton (7-4, 5-1 LEC)
How it Happened:
- Plymouth State kept the LEC's highest scoring offense in check through the first 50 minutes, as junior Loretta Blakeney's (Barnard, Vt.) tally in the 28th minute stood as the game's only score. An initial shot ricocheted off the post to Blakeney in front of the cage for the easy goal.
- Castleton appeared to seize control with a goal in the 51st minute when junior Gabriella Hunt (Granville, N.Y.) ripped a shot to the low right corner for a 2-0 lead.
- Plymouth State got the goal right back just 46 seconds later. McPherson used some good stick work to dribble past four defenders for a one-on-one with the Spartans' goalie. Senior Tashia Pashby-Rockwood (Williston, Vt.) made a sliding stop, but McPherson pushed in the ball after a shot by sophomore Jess Mezquita (Atkinson, N.H.) rebounded off the left post.
- Mezquita nearly tied the game two minutes later, but Pashby-Rockwood made a sprawling save and the hosts added an insurance goal in the 58th minute to secure the win.
Inside the Numbers:
- McPherson's goal was her first of the season.
- Castleton held a 17-10 advantage in shots, but PSU had a 7-5 edge in shots on goal.
- The Spartans owned a 7-1 lead in penalty corners.
- Junior Jess Distler (Brookfield, N.H.) made two saves but fell to 3-3, while Pashby-Rockwood recorded six stops to improve to 6-2.
- Plymouth State returns home to square off against Eastern Connecticut State in another LEC contest Saturday (Oct. 12) at the New Hampton School at 1:00 p.m.
– 30 –