Distler makes eight saves in setback
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Jess Distler (Brookfield, N.H.) made eight saves, but Worcester State University posted a 4-0 win over Plymouth State University in a Little East Conference (LEC) field hockey game at Kennedy Field at the New Hampton School on Saturday afternoon.
The Lancers got off to a fast start with a pair of goals in the opening six minutes, then added two more in the second quarter. The two teams battled through a scoreless second half with Distler and the PSU defense coming up big several times.
Plymouth State drops to 7-8 and 5-6 in the LEC, while Worcester State improves to 14-4 and 10-1 in league play. PSU is currently tied for seventh in the conference, with the top eight teams qualifying for the upcoming LEC Tournament.
Plymouth State 0, Worcester State 4
Plymouth State (7-8, 5-6 LEC)
Worcester State (14-4, 10-1 LEC)
How it Happened:
- Senior Rachel Hopkins (Chelmsford, Mass.) gave the Lancers an early lead when she found the back of the cage just 2:27 into the game.
- Junior Sarah Duff (Warren, Mass.) made it 2-0 in the sixth minute and her freshman Carly Duff (Warren, Mass.) pushed the lead to 3-0 6:22 into the second quarter.
- Hopkins picked up her second of the day and 22nd of the year in the 24th minute to account for the final score.
Inside the Numbers:
- Distler made a season high eight stops, including five in the second half.
- Sophomore Jess Hopkins (Chelmsford, Mass.) made four saves for the Lancers.
- Worcester State owned a 22-4 advantage in shots and 7-4 edge in penalty corners.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"Worcester State was the best team we've seen this year," said head coach Bonnie Lord. "After a 4-0 first half we were a totally different team in the second half. We moved some positions around and were very impressed with Mariah Craigue, Hailey Patridge and Laura Secone."
- Plymouth State heads to St. Joseph's of Maine on Monday (Oct. 28) for a 6:00 p.m. game, before hosting LEC foe Westfield State next Saturday (Nov. 2) for a Senior Day contest at Holderness School at noon.
- The Lancers visit WestConn next Saturday (Nov. 2) for an 11:00 a.m. LEC contest.
– 30 –