Preston nets team-high 16 in non-conference setback
Preston, who finished with a team-high 16 points, made a layup with 12 seconds to play, cutting a 15-point deficit all the way down to one (51-50), but the Panthers were unable to get any closer. PSU had an opportunity to tie the game in the closing seconds but was unable to get a shot off as the Spartans held on for the win.
Glenbrook Gym, Castleton, Vt. – Tues., Nov. 22, 2016
Plymouth State 50, Castleton 52
Plymouth State 2-1; Castleton 2-1
* Preston … 16 points (5-of-9), five rebounds, three assists
* Senior Curtis Arsenault (Berlin, N.H.) … 10 points, four rebounds, three steals, two assists
* Freshman Jaylen Leroy (Manchester, N.H.) … eight points, 2-of-4 three-pointers
* Sophomore Mike Osgood (Nashua, N.H.) … five rebounds, three assists
* Senior Nathan Clarke (Reading, Mass.) … four rebounds, two assists, two steals, two points
BY THE NUMBERS
* Plymouth State shot 31.7% (19-of-60) from the field, including 5-of-20 from behind the three-point line, and 70% (7-of-10) from the free throw line.
* The Spartans shot 42.9% (18-of-42) from the field and 68.2% (15-of-22) from the free throw line.
* Castleton won the rebounding battle, 37-32, but committed 16 turnovers leading to 19 Plymouth State points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* The two teams were even through the first 10 minutes of the game until Castleton went on a 21-7 scoring run, led by senior Chad Copeland (Plainfield, Vt.), who had 10 points during that stretch.
* Leroy hit a three-pointer on Plymouth State's final possession of the first half to bring the Panthers within nine (30-21) at halftime.
* After sophomore Edmund Fitzgerald (Yonkers, N.Y.) hit a layup one minute into the second half, Plymouth State scored seven unanswered points, punctuated by a traditional three-point play from Preston.
* Castleton responded with its own 11-0 scoring run over the next five minutes to extend its lead to 43-28 with 11 minutes remaining in the second half.
* Plymouth State started a comeback, going on a 15-3 run over the next seven minutes, led by eight points from Preston and capped by a three-pointer by senior Nick MacGregor (Rochester, N.H.) that brought the Panthers within three at 46-43.
* Copeland made two baskets to extend the Spartan lead back to six, but another MacGregor three-pointer and a free throw by Preston closed the Castleton lead to 50-48 with 1:22 remaining in regulation.
* Fitzgerald was fouled with 58 seconds left and made one free throw, and then each team exchanged possessions without scoring.
* Preston hit a layup with 12 seconds remaining to bring the Panthers within one, and then Fitzgerald went 1-of-2 from the free throw line again.
* Plymouth State had one final chance to tie the score, but the Castleton defense prevented the Panthers from getting a shot off.
Plymouth State @ Colby-Sawyer, New London, N.H. – Mon., Nov. 28 (7:00 p.m.)
Castleton @ Southern Vermont, Bennington, Vt. – Sun., Nov. 27 (3:30 p.m.)
*** Courtesy of Castleton University Sports Information ***
-- 30 --