Arsenault's three-pointer at the buzzer gives Panthers an LEC win
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Senior Curtis Arsenault (Berlin, N.H.) hit a game-winning three-pointer at the buzzer to lift Plymouth State University past Rhode Island College, 71-70, in the Little East Conference (LEC) men's basketball opener for both teams on Saturday afternoon at The Murray Center.
RIC took a 70-68 lead when sophomore Benjamin Vezele (Providence, R.I.) hit a tough layup with 2.7 seconds remaining. After a loose ball, Plymouth State was able to run an inbounds play at half court. Arsenault caught the inbounds pass and nailed the game-winner over two Anchormen defenders.
PSU improves to 4-2 (1-0 LEC), while Rhode Island drops to 3-4 (0-1 LEC).
The Murray Center, Providence, R.I. – Sat., Dec. 3, 2016
Plymouth State 71, Rhode Island 70
Plymouth State 4-2 (1-0 LEC); Rhode Island 3-4 (0-1 LEC)
* Freshman Jaylen Leroy (Manchester, N.H.) … game-high 26 points (8-of-11) including six three-pointers
* Senior Jack Preston (Nashua, N.H.) … 22 points, game-high 10 rebounds
* Junior Brian Boulay (Keene, N.H.) … nine points, five assists, three rebounds, three steals
* Arsenault … seven points
BY THE NUMBERS
* Plymouth State shot 47.4% (27-of-57) from the field, while the Anchormen were 22-of-45 (48.9%).
* The Panthers connected on 7-of-14 from long range, with Leroy hitting 6-of-9. RIC was 8-of-22 from downtown.
* Rhode Island attempted 10 more free throws than PSU (25 to 15), with Vezele finishing a perfect 12-of-12 from the line. Plymouth State finished 10-of-15, while RIC was 18-of-25.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* RIC and PSU traded baskets early with the score tied, 9-9, after five minutes of action.
* The Panthers used a 10-3 run, capped by a layup from Preston, to take a 19-12 advantage with 10:24 left in the first half.
* PSU went up by eight points (25-17) after a layup by Boulay with 7:28 remaining.
* The Anchormen stormed back, using a 14-6 run to knot the score at 31-31 at halftime.
* The Anchormen came out strong after the break, hitting three-pointers on its first three offensive possessions to pull ahead 40-33 just 1:11 into the half.
* Trailing 54-43, the Panthers used an 11-0 run to tie the game at 54-54 with 9:02 left to play. Leroy sparked the run with a pair of three-pointers and Preston added the other six points.
* PSU took its first lead of the second half with a traditional three-point play by Boulay with 5:09 left to put the Panthers up 57-56.
* The game was tied six more times, the final time coming with Preston's layup made the score 68-68 with 31 seconds to go.
* Plymouth State returns home for its final three games before the end of the semester. The Panthers host Framingham State on Tues., Dec. 6 at 7:00 p.m.
* Rhode Island is also back in action on Tuesday, as the Anchormen travel to Johnson & Wales for a 7:00 p.m. game.
-- 30 --