16 Panthers score in non-conference win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Jack Preston (Nashua, N.H.) finished with a team-high 10 points as 16 different Panthers scored in Plymouth State University's 73-54 non-conference men's basketball win over Framingham State University at Foley Gymnasium on Tuesday.
PSU quickly built a double-digit lead in the first half. All 19 players logged minutes as the Panthers won their third straight game. Plymouth State moves to 5-2 with the victory, while the Rams fall to 2-5.
Foley Gymnasium, Plymouth, N.H. – Tues., Dec. 6, 2016
Plymouth State 73, Framingham State 54
Plymouth State 5-2 (1-0 LEC); Framingham State 2-5 (0-0 MASCAC)
* Preston … 10 points, six rebounds
* Freshman Jaylen Leroy (Manchester, N.H.) … nine points (3-of-4 three-point range), two rebounds, two assists
* Junior Brian Boulay (Keene, N.H.) … eight points, three assists, two rebounds
* Sophomore Mike Osgood (Nashua, N.H.) … seven points, eight rebounds
* Senior Ernie Johnson (Springfield, Mass.) … two points, five assists, four rebounds, three steals
BY THE NUMBERS
* Plymouth State shot 46.2% (24-of-52) from the field, while holding the Rams to 18-of-57 (31.6%).
* The Panthers shot it well from downtown again, making 9-of-18 triples. Leroy led the way with three long balls, while Boulay added a pair.
* PSU moved the ball well, tallying 17 assists on its 24 made baskets.
* The Plymouth State bench outscored its counterparts 44-16.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* The Panthers opened up an early 11-3 lead through the game's first five minutes. Boulay had two three-pointers in the run, and Leroy added his first triple.
* PSU used an 11-0 run to push the lead to 22-6 after 8:18. Preston had seven points in the run, with senior Nick MacGregor (Rochester, N.H.) adding four.
* Another three from Leroy plus a free throw from Osgood pushed the lead to 37-19 with 2:16 left in the half.
* The Rams closed the half by scoring five of the final eight points for a 40-24 Panther lead at the half.
* PSU opened the second half with five straight points, including a triple from junior Collin Sullivan (Plymouth, N.H.).
* Freshman Nathan Hale (Nashua, N.H.) got into the action, burying a jumper to give PSU a 52-33 lead with 14:33 left to play.
* The Panthers used a 13-5 run to increase the lead to 65-38 with 8:36 left in the game. Sophomore Ryan Smith (Melrose, Mass.) and MacGregor accounted for the final five points of the run, giving PSU its largest lead of the game.
* Sophomore Liam Densmore (Portland, Maine) capped the scoring with the Panthers' ninth three-pointer, securing the 73-54 win.
* The Panthers remain at home for another non-conference game on Thursday. PSU hosts Thomas College (Maine) with tip-off set for 7:00 p.m.
* Framingham State is also back in action on Thursday. The Rams will face Clark University for a 7:00 p.m. game.
-- 30 --