Osgood paces Panthers in LEC loss
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – All five starters finished with double-figures as Keene State College knocked off Plymouth State University, 82-70, in a Little East Conference (LEC) men's basketball game at Foley Gymnasium on Wednesday night.
Senior Matt Ozzella (Medway, Mass.) and junior Dizel Wright (Springfield, Mass.) topped the visitors with 16 points apiece, with Ozzella adding 15 rebounds to his stat line. The Panthers got 16 points and 12 rebounds from sophomore Mike Osgood (Nashua, N.H.) in the losing effort.
Foley Gymnasium, Plymouth, N.H. – Wed., Jan. 18, 2017
Plymouth State 70, Keene State 82
Plymouth State 7-8 (1-5 LEC); Keene State 11-5 (4-2 LEC)
* Osgood … team-highs of 16 points and 12 rebounds, three assists, two steals
* Junior Brian Boulay (Keene, N.H.) … 12 points, three assists
* Senior Curtis Arsenault (Berlin, N.H.) … 11 points, three rebounds in 14 minutes
* Freshman Jaylen Leroy (Manchester, N.H.) … eight points, two rebounds, two assists, two steals
* Ozzella … 16 points (12-of-14 FT), 15 rebounds, two assists
* Wright … 16 points (5-of-8), three rebounds, three steals
* Sophomore Ty Nichols (Springfield, Mass.) … 12 points, six assists, four steals
* Senior Lucas Hammel (Methuen, Mass.) … 12 points, five rebounds, three assists
* Senior Jaquel Edwards (Manchester, Conn.) … 10 points, nine rebounds, three steals
BY THE NUMBERS
* PSU shot 36.9% (24-of-65) from the field, while draining six three-pointers (6-of-18).
* Keene State owned a 31-16 advantage from the free throw line, shooting 41 times to PSU's 25.
* KSC controlled the interior, outscoring the Panthers 40-22 from the paint.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Both teams came out firing to open the game. A three-pointer from Boulay put the hosts up 9-8 after three minutes, and junior Max Coleman (Londonderry, N.H.) sank a long ball on the next Panther possession to extend the lead.
* Boulay sank another from beyond the arc to make it 15-10 after five minutes.
* Freshman Jake Collagan (Wethersfield, Conn.) sank a three from the right baseline to put the visitors in front, 19-18, after 7:36, but Arsenault answered with two freebies to put PSU back in front.
* The Owls used a 13-4 run to take a 32-24 lead with 5:33 remaining in the opening half.
* Keene State pushed the advantage to double-figures, 40-30, when Wright sank one-of-two from the free throw line with 1:45 left in the period.
* A steal by Leroy led to an easy layup for Osgood to make the deficit 46-34 at the break.
* Keene extended the lead to 17, 55-38, over the first six minutes of the second half.
* The teams traded baskets, with Osgood sinking a straight-on three-pointer to make it 58-44 with 12:19 to play.
* Hammel came up with a steal and fast-break layup to force a Panther timeout with KSC leading 66-48 and 10:36 remaining.
* A jumper from Wright pushed the Owl lead to 20 points, 73-53, with under six minutes to go.
* The Panthers made a late push to trim the margin to 80-68 with two minutes remaining, but the Owls were strong from the free throw line to close out the win.
* The Panthers host Rhode Island College in another LEC match-up on Saturday, with game time set for 3:00 p.m.
* Keene State is also back in conference action Saturday, when they host UMass-Dartmouth (3:00 p.m.).
-- 30 --