Osgood sets career-high in LEC victory
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Mike Osgood (Nashua, N.H.) posted a career-high 30 points and pulled down ten rebounds while helping lead Plymouth State University over Rhode Island College, 84-62, in a key Little East Conference (LEC) men's basketball game at Foley Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon.
The Panthers got contributions up-and-down the roster, with freshman Jaylen Leroy (Manchester, N.H.) chipping in with 14 points, including four trifectas. Junior Kieran Beck (Danvers, Mass.) added nine points and 10 rebounds, with senior Nathan Clarke (Reading, Mass.) posting six points, seven assists and four steals.
The teams were tied at 25-25 with just over three minutes left in the opening half when the Panthers scored 12 straight points. Leroy sank back-to-back three-pointers during the stretch, and PSU took a 37-27 lead into the break. Plymouth State maintained a double-digit lead throughout the second half en route to the victory.
Foley Gymnasium, Plymouth, N.H. – Sat., Jan. 21, 2017
Plymouth State 84, Rhode Island 62
Plymouth State 8-8 (2-5 LEC); Rhode Island 8-9 (2-5 LEC)
* Osgood … career and game-high 30 points (13-of-20), game-high 10 rebounds, three assists, two blocks
* Leroy … 14 points (4-of-10 3PT), two rebounds, two steals
* Beck … nine points, game-high 10 rebounds, three assists, two steals
* Clarke … six points, seven assists, four steals
* Sophomore Ryan Smith (Melrose, Mass.) … four points, six rebounds
* Sophomore Justin Campbell (New Haven, Conn.) … 14 points, four rebounds
* Freshman Chris Donaldson (Bridgeport, Conn.) … 11 points, four rebounds
* Sophomore Benjamin Vezele (Providence, R.I.) … nine points, seven rebounds
* Freshman Chris Farrington (Fall River, Mass.) … nine points, four rebounds
BY THE NUMBERS
* PSU made more than half its shots for the second time this season. The Panthers finished 33-of-63 (52.4%) and connected on 7-of-22 three-pointers (31.8%).
* RIC finished 23-of-55 (41.8%) from the floor, and 4-of-15 (26.7%) from deep.
* The Panthers owned a 38-31 edge on the boards and a 44-30 advantage on points in the paint.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* The teams were even through the first three minutes when Leroy connected from beyond the arc for the first time, helping PSU gain a six point advantage (10-4).
* Campbell had four straight points for the Anchormen to tie the score at 25-25 with 4:18 left in the opening half.
* The Panthers responded with 12-straight points, including two more deep balls from Leroy, to move ahead 37-25.
* Campbell stopped the run and closed the first half scoring when he connected on two free throws to make it 37-27 at halftime.
* Osgood took over scoring 10 points in a six minute stretch. The sophomore got to the basket, then went coast-to-coast for a dunk, before sinking a jumper and getting to the rim two more times, giving PSU a 67-49 advantage.
* RIC would cut the lead to 14 points, 67-53, after Vezele connected twice from the charity stripe, but that was as close as the Anchormen would get.
* Senior Ernie Johnson (Springfield, Mass.) connected from downtown to put the hosts up by 20, 78-58, with 4:21 to play.
* Sophomore Sean Jany (Westbrook, Maine) closed the scoring with a layup in the final minute, giving PSU the key LEC win.
* The Panthers will travel to Southern Maine on Wednesday for another LEC battle with game time slated for 7:30 p.m.
* The Anchormen are back in another LEC contest on Wednesday when they host Western Connecticut State University at 7:30 p.m.
-- 30 --