Osgood, Preston lead Panthers in OT loss
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Mike Osgood (Nashua, N.H.) and senior Jack Preston (Nashua, N.H.) combined for 40 points and 19 rebounds but it wasn't quite enough as Pine Manor College outlasted Plymouth State University, 84-74, in overtime in a non-conference men's basketball game at Foley Gymnasium.
Plymouth State trailed by three, 64-61, with three minutes left in regulation but senior Curtis Arsenault (Berlin, N.H.) sank a three-pointer and the teams went into overtime tied at 66-66. Pine Manor led for the entire extra frame. PSU trailed 68-67 with four minutes to play in the overtime session, but the Gators used a 16-7 run to close out the win.
Pine Manor had six players finish in double figures, led by junior Taverick Roberson's (Pittsfield, Mass.) 22 points. Osgood finished with 24 points for the Panthers, with Preston adding 16 points and 11 rebounds.
Foley Gymnasium, Plymouth, N.H. – Mon., Jan. 30, 2017
Plymouth State 74, Pine Manor 84 (OT)
Plymouth State 9-10; Pine Manor 13-6
* Osgood … 24 points (12-of-24), eight rebounds, three steals
* Preston … 16 points (5-of-6), 11 rebounds, three blocks
* Arsenault … 13 points
* Junior Kieran Beck (Danvers, Mass.) … two points, five rebounds, five assists
* Senior Nathan Clarke (Reading, Mass.) … four points, five rebounds, four assists, three steals
* Roberson … 22 points, three rebounds, two assists
* Junior Chancie Williams (Hartford, Conn.) … 13 points, three steals
* Junior Curtis Hyman (New Britain, Conn.) … 11 points, 13 rebounds, two blocks
* Sophomore Ellis Reid (Hartford, Conn.) … 12 points, eight rebounds, four blocks
* Sophomore Erick Rosario (Lynn, Mass.) … 11 points, six rebounds, five steals
BY THE NUMBERS
* PSU made 30-of-74 (40.5%) from the field and drained four three-pointers, while Pine Manor finished 31-of-70 (44.3%) and also connected four times from long range.
* The Gators finished 18-of-27 (66.7%) from the charity stripe, while PSU made 10-of-21 attempts (25.0%)
* The Panthers moved the ball well on offense, assisting on nearly half of their field goals. Plymouth State ended with 14 assists, while the Gators had just five.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Good ball movement led to PSU taking an early 10-2 lead. Osgood had eight of PSU's first 10 points.
* The Panthers pulled ahead 16-9 after a layup from sophomore Ryan Smith (Melrose, Mass.), but Pine Manor answered with a 12-2 run to take the lead after nine minutes. Roberson capped the run with a deep three.
* The Gators maintained a slight advantage through the next six minutes. Freshman Jaylen Leroy (Manchester, N.H.) hit a driving layup to make the deficit 31-27 with two minutes left in the half.
* An Osgood layup made it a 33-29 margin for PSU at the break.
* Pine Manor picked up its defensive intensity to spark a 7-0 spurt increasing the lead to 50-39 after six minutes. Hyman had four points during the run.
* The Panthers responded with a 7-0 run of their own, sparked by the inside play of Preston. The senior hit a reverse layup in traffic, then answered with an old-fashioned three-point play.
* The Gators regained control, taking a 60-52 lead after two free throws from Hyman, but Preston sparked the crowd after hitting a tough interior bucket and drawing a foul. He missed the free throw, but an offensive rebound led to a triple from senior Ernie Johnson (Springfield, Mass.), and moments later Clarke's jumper made it a 60-59 deficit with less than six minutes to play.
* Arsenault knotted the score at 64-64 after sinking a trifecta from the right wing with three minutes to play.
* Preston sank two freebies to give PSU the lead, but a layup from freshman Rasheed Bell (Boston, Mass.) would send the game into overtime.
* Roberson gave the Gators the lead to open the extra frame, and after a PSU free throw Reid hit a layup to put the visitors up three, 70-67, with less than four minutes to play.
* Roberson hit a straight-on three to push the visitors' lead to 73-67 moments later.
* Arsenault hit a runner in the lane, but Rosario answered with an old-fashioned three-point play and after a defensive stop Reid's tip-in gave PMC a 78-69 lead with just over a minute to play.
* Roberson had a pair of free throws and a fast break layup to close out the 84-74 win.
* The Panthers play their final non-conference game Thursday (Feb. 2) before wrapping up the regular season with five straight LEC games. PSU will tip-off at 7:00 p.m. against Newbury College in a game played at Hellenic College.
* Pine Manor will face another LEC team on Wednesday when the Gators travel to UMass Boston for a 7:00 p.m. showdown.
-- 30 --