Simpson paces Panthers with game-high 21 points
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Joe Simpson (Manchester, N.H.) matched a game-high with 21 points but Plymouth State University fell at New England College, 92-76, in a non-conference men's basketball game at Bridges Gym on Saturday night.
NEC opened the game with a 14-0 burst, forcing the Panthers to play catchup from the get go, and the hosts maintained a double-digit lead for much of the game.
Plymouth State drops to 1-1 on the season, while NEC improves to 1-0.
Plymouth State 76, New England College 92
Plymouth State 1-1
New England College 1-0
How it Happened:
* Junior Izaiah Winston-Brooks (Roxbury, Mass.) had nine points in the opening three minutes as the hosts charged out to a 14-0 lead.
* Simpson got inside for a bucket, then added a three-pointer a minute later as the Panthers pulled to within 19-10 after the first six minutes.
* The Pilgrims surged ahead, building a 20-point cushion but PSU answered with an 11-3 run to cut into the margin. Simpson had five points in the spurt, while Rivera added four.
* Rivera's layup cut the Panthers' deficit to 51-34 at the half.
* New England College maintained a comfortable lead throughout the second half as PSU couldn't get any closer than 12-points back.
Inside the Numbers:
* LeRoy added three assists and three steals to his stat line, while Rivera pulled down five rebounds.
* Plymouth State struggled from long range, connecting on 5-of-32 attempts, while the Pilgrims sank 9-of-32 from distance.
* The game marked the first meeting between the two programs since the 2009-10 season. PSU had won the last five head-to-head contests.
* Plymouth State is back at home for a non-conference game with Norwich on Tuesday (Nov. 13) at 6:00 p.m.
* The Pilgrims visit Northern Vermont – Lyndon on Monday (Nov. 12) for a 6:00 p.m. non-conference game.
– 30 –