Panthers' comeback attempt falls short
NEW LONDON, N.H. – Plymouth State University rallied from a 13-point first half deficit to take a 69-67 lead with five minutes to play, but Colby-Sawyer College responded with an 11-3 run to earn an 80-72 win in a non-conference men's basketball game at Coffin Field House on Tuesday night.
The Chargers used a 7-0 run to start the game, building a double-digit lead after seven minutes of action. The Panthers were able to get within seven points, but CSC went into halftime with a 38-28 lead. Play went back-and-forth through the second half as PSU slowly chipped away. Junior Joe Simpson (Manchester, N.H.) capped an 11-2 run with an old-fashioned three-point play to pull Plymouth State to within 56-55 with under 11 minutes to play, and Simpson's jumper with five minutes remaining gave the Panthers their first lead, 69-67. Colby-Sawyer responded, closing out the game with the decisive run to earn the victory.
Plymouth State evens its record at 3-3, while the Chargers improve to 2-1.
Plymouth State 72, Colby-Sawyer 80
Plymouth State 3-3
How it Happened:
* The Chargers scored the game's first seven points before junior Jaylen LeRoy (Manchester, N.H.) sank a jumper. Following a CSC bucket, Simpson hit from long range to make it a 9-5 game just over five minutes in.
* A three-pointer from freshman Terrence Harvey Jr. (Smyrna, Ga.) pushed the Chargers' lead to double-figures, 15-5, and Colby-Sawyer added a pair of free throws before freshman Dante Rivera (Methuen, Mass.) hit from long range for the Panthers. Moments later freshman Manny Sanchez (Lawrence, Mass.) sank a layup to pull PSU to within 17-10 midway through the first half.
* Senior Mark DiLauro (North Branford, Conn.) hit a layup and LeRoy came up with a steal that led to a dunk by freshman Manny Alisandro (Manchester, N.H.) as the Panthers battled back. LeRoy cut inside to reduce the deficit to 28-21 with 4:41 left in the half, but sophomore Austin Boudreau (Old Orchard Beach, Maine) hit from downtown for the Chargers and Colby-Sawyer went into the break with a 38-28 lead.
* LeRoy swished a three from the right wing and, after a steal, hit a pair of free throws. PSU came up with another steal and Simpson completed an old-fashioned three-point play to cut the deficit to 56-55 with 10:45 remaining, but the hosts scored the next six points.
* PSU clawed back again and DiLauro's layup evened the game at 65-65 with 6:02 to go. A minute later Simpson gave the Panthers their first lead, 69-67.
* CSC answered with six straight points to take the lead for good, sparking an 11-3 run to close the game.
Inside the Numbers:
* LeRoy finished with 22 points, six assists and seven steals, while Simpson and Alisandro added 11 points apiece.
* DiLauro scored eight points and pulled down nine rebounds in 16 minutes and Rivera chipped in with nine points and three rebounds.
* Colby-Sawyer had five players finish with double figures, led by senior Jourdain Bell (Manchester, N.H.) and sophomore KJ Synvrit (Miami, Fla.) with 17 each.
* Plymouth State held a 45-35 advantage on the boards and owned a 32-24 advantage in the paint.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"I was pleased with the way we fought back from a deficit most of the game," said head coach Andrew Novick. "We just could not make enough shots down the stretch."
* Plymouth State opens Little East Conference play on the road a week from Wednesday (Nov. 28) when the Panthers travel to Castleton University for a 7:30 p.m. game.
* The Chargers visit Rivier for a non-league contest on Tuesday (Nov. 27) at 7:00 p.m.
– 30 –