Five Panthers finish in double figures
JOHNSON, Vt. – Five players finished in double figures and freshman Manny Alisandro (Manchester, N.H.) posted a double-double as Plymouth State University used a second half run to cruise past Northern Vermont University-Johnson, 88-69, in a non-conference men's basketball game Tuesday night at Carter Gym.
Alisandro scored 13 points and pulled down 12 rebounds, while classmate Dante Rivera (Methuen, Mass.) led PSU with 20 points as the Panthers used a 17-0 run in the second half to turn a close game into a blowout. Senior Mike Osgood (Nashua, N.H.) came off the bench for a season-high 16 points, while juniors Jaylen LeRoy (Manchester, N.H.) and Joe Simpson (Manchester, N.H.) chipped in with 15 and 11 points, respectively.
Plymouth State led 55-49 with 11:23 to play in the second half before Rivera's three-pointer sparked the game-deciding run. PSU held the Badgers scoreless for 4:33, forcing five turnovers during the spurt.
Plymouth State snaps a three game skid to improve to 9-7, while NVU-Johnson remains winless on the year (0-15).
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 88, NVU-Johnson 69
Plymouth State (9-7)
How it Happened:
* The hosts jumped out to a 7-2 lead, but Rivera drained a pair of three's during an 8-0 spurt as PSU pulled in front.
* The Badgers rallied and held a slight lead until Osgood's jumper with 10:34 left in the half gave the Panthers an 18-17 advantage.
* Freshman Haji Haji (Burlington, Vt.) hit from distance to give NVU-Johnson a 26-25 lead with 6:40 to go, but Alisandro laid it in on the other end and the Panthers would lead for the duration.
* LeRoy followed with back-to-back triples, and added a third in the final minute as Plymouth State built a 42-34 halftime lead.
* Haji's layup pulled the hosts to within three, 45-42, early in the second half and the Badgers remained within striking distance over the next six minutes.
* Haji connected from distance to make it 55-49 with 11:23 to play, but the Panthers' defense would hold NVU-Johnson to 0-6 shooting and five turnovers over the next 4:33.
* Rivera opened the game-changing run with a three, while freshman Chris McCarthy (Chelmsford, Mass.) added five points.
* The Badgers hit three-pointers on consecutive trips to cut the margin to 16, 76-60, with 4:52, but that was as close as they would get.
Inside the Numbers:
* Rivera finished 7-of-14 from the field, including 4-of-7 from beyond the arc, for his 20 points. He added four assists and two steals.
* Osgood found his stroke, going 6-of-9 from the floor, to accumulate 16 points, six rebounds, two assists and two blocks in 20 minutes off the bench.
* Alisandro posted his third double-double of the season.
* Sophomore Robert Dubose (Philadelphia, Pa.) led all scorers with 26 points, while Haji added 14. Senior Donell Shaw (Washington, D.C.) added 13 points and seven rebounds for the Badgers.
* The Panthers owned a 44-35 advantage on the boards and a 19-6 edge in second chance points.
* PSU improved to 6-0 on the season when making 10+ three-pointers (10-of-26).
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"We had some important contributions off the bench tonight that helped spark our second half and secure the win," said head coach Andrew Novick.
* PSU plays host to Castleton University in a key Little East Conference match-up on Saturday (Jan. 19), with tip-off set for 3:00 p.m.
* NVU-Johnson squares off with rival NVU-Lyndon at home Saturday (Jan. 19) at 1:00 p.m. in the team's Go Red for Women's Heart Health game.
– 30 –