Osgood eclipses 1,000 career points in non-conference victory
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Mike Osgood (Nashua, N.H.) scored nine points, including the 1,000th point of his career, as Plymouth State University topped Elms College, 78-72, in a men's basketball game at Foley Gymnasium on Monday night.
Osgood became the 32nd member of PSU's 1,000-point club, reaching the mark with a driving layup with 3:33 remaining in the first half. At the time the Panthers were facing a 30-21 deficit, but Osgood's bucket helped PSU trim the margin to 36-30 at the half.
Elms maintained a slight lead over the first nine minutes of the second half until the Panthers used a 7-0 spurt to pull in front. The Blazers pulled even on multiple occasions, the last coming with four minutes to play, but junior Joe Simpson (Manchester, N.H.) drained a clutch three-pointer and PSU held on the rest of the way.
Plymouth State improves to 11-9 while Elms dips to 3-17.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 78, Elms 72
Plymouth State (11-9)
How it Happened:
* Elms held a 9-6 lead after the first five minutes before PSU scored six straight points. Freshman Dante Rivera (Methuen, Mass.) drove down the lane before dishing to Osgood on the baseline, who threw down a two-handed slam to give the hosts a 12-9 advantage.
* Rivera sank a triple, but freshman Justin Feliciano (Springfield, Mass.) answered with a long ball of his own at the other end as the Blazers took a 19-16 lead at the midpoint of the first half.
* Elms nailed three-pointers on consecutive possessions to give the Blazers their largest lead of the game, 30-21, with 4:22 left in the half.
* Osgood slashed to the hoop a minute later for the milestone basket and freshman Manny Alisandro (Manchester, N.H.) sank a jumper to cut the deficit to 30-25.
* Senior Mark DiLauro (North Branford, Conn.) provided some good minutes as the half wound down, hitting from inside twice and sinking a free throw to pull the Panthers to within 34-30 with 14 seconds left, but sophomore Tyler Barney (Laurel, Md.) nailed a jumper to give Elms a 36-30 lead at the break.
* The Blazers maintained the lead and sophomore D.J. Edelen (Prince George, Va.) hit from long range to push the advantage up to nine, 47-38, 5:34 into the second half, but junior Jaylen LeRoy (Manchester, N.H.) and Rivera hit from distance on the Panthers' next two possessions.
* Feliciano completed an old-fashioned three-point play to make it 52-47, but freshman Chris McCarthy (Chelmsford, Mass.) nailed a corner three and Rivera snaked through traffic to the rim to tie the game at 52-all with 11:27 remaining.
* The game was tied six more times over the next seven minutes as neither team could pull away until Simpson nailed a straight-on three to give PSU a 69-66 lead with 3:33 to go.
* Osgood sank a pair from the charity stripe and the Panthers answered every Elms' basket with one of their own over the final two minutes to hold on for the win.
Inside the Numbers:
* Rivera lead all players with a game-high 22 points, including four three-pointers, and added seven rebounds, three assists and three steals, while LeRoy finished with 15 points, five rebounds, three assists and two steals.
* Simpson and Alisandro each chipped in with 11 points, with Alisandro adding eight boards and Simpson dishing out three assists, while Osgood ended with nine points, eight rebounds and a pair of blocked shots.
* Freshman Kewan Smoot (Windsor, Conn.) led the Blazers with 14 points, as Barney and Edelen chipped in with 13 and 10, respectively.
* PSU owned a 41-28 advantage on the boards, but Elms outscored PSU by a 38-26 margin in the paint.
* The Panthers' reserves outscored their counterparts 34-10 and Plymouth State shot 16-of-19 (84.2%) from the line.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Mike [Osgood] has been a great player for us," praised head coach Andrew Novick. "He's a special young man who's a lot of fun to coach and we're happy that he got there tonight. He's just a wonderful person and I'm really happy for him. In years past we might not have won a game like this, but we were resilient enough to come away and win this game. We had some guys that stepped up in the second half. We changed the tempo of the game a little bit and were able to pull it out, so I was pleased. I think it can help us maintain our confidence heading into our game with Keene."
* The Panthers visit rival Keene State for a key LEC match-up on Wednesday (Jan. 30) at 7:30 p.m.
* Elms travels to Lesley University on Wednesday (Jan. 30) for a 6:00 tip off.
|Osgood drives to the basket in the first half, becoming the 32nd player in program history with 1,000 career points.|
– 30 –