LeRoy goes for 24 pts, Alisandro records double-double in win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Jaylen LeRoy (Manchester, N.H.) netted a game-high 24 points and sophomore Manny Alisandro (Manchester, N.H.) posted his second straight double-double as Plymouth State University handled Northern Vermont University-Johnson, 80-66, in a non-conference men's basketball game at Foley Gymnasium on Tuesday night.
Plymouth State relied on its starting five to carry the load, with four starters logging more than 30 minutes and the quintet accounting for all but eight of the team's points. PSU held a 41-32 lead at the half, and watched it balloon to 18 points, 52-34, 4:22 into the second half. The Badgers clawed the deficit all the way down to just three, 61-58, with eight minutes to go, but junior Devin Cooper (Newfield, N.Y.) blocked a shot at one end and converted from inside at the other, then senior Joe Simpson (Manchester, N.H.) drilled a triple to restore order and Plymouth State never looked back.
PSU improves to 1-1 on the year, while NVU-Johnson falls to 1-2.
Plymouth State 80, NVU-Johnson 66
Plymouth State (1-1)
How it Happened.
- Simpson came up with a steal and hit Alisandro for a breakaway dunk to give the Panthers a 10-7 lead after four minutes.
- PSU maintained a slight advantage until sophomore Braxton Benvenuti (Miami, Fla.) connected from distance to put the Badgers ahead, 23-20, with 8:27 left in the half.
- LeRoy hit from beyond the arc to spark a 9-0 spurt for a 34-28 lead and sophomore Dante Rivera (Methuen, Mass.) knocked down a three to make it 41-32 at the half.
- Rivera got hot to open the second half, swishing a three from the right wing before knocking down a step-back baseline jumper and LeRoy nailed a pull-up jumper to push the lead to 52-34 with 15:38 left to play.
- Johnson slowly chipped away over the next seven minutes, with junior Ayodeji Shokeye's (Yonkers, N.Y.) free throw making it a 61-58 game with just under eight minutes to play.
- PSU responded, however, as Cooper blocked a shot and converted from inside at the other end, then Simpson knocked down a triple as part of a 7-0 run to restore control and NVU-Johnson wouldn't get closer than six points the rest of the way.
Inside the Numbers:
- LeRoy was 9-of-17 from the floor, while River finished 7-of-15 and added four steals.
- Alisandro recorded his second straight double-double (14 points, 11 rebounds).
- Cooper led all players with 13 rebounds.
- The Plymouth State defense came up with 14 steals and scored 32 points off Badgers' turnovers.
- PSU held a 44-36 edge on the boards and outscored NVU-Johnson by a 36-22 margin in the paint, though the Badgers' bench outscored Plymouth State's reserves 39-8.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"We're still trying to figure out some things in terms of consistency," said head coach Andrew Novick. "That will come with more games played. We'll work on some things tomorrow before heading to Norwich Thursday, which I expect will be a hard-fought game."
- Plymouth State visits Norwich on Thursday (Nov. 14) for another non-conference game, with tip-off set for 7:30 p.m.
– 30 –