LeRoy paces Panthers in non-conference win
NORTHFIELD, Vt. – Senior Jaylen LeRoy (Manchester, N.H.) dropped a game-high 25 points and Plymouth State University never trailed as the Panthers cruised past Norwich University, 81-70, in a non-conference men's basketball game at Andrews Hall Gym on Thursday night.
LeRoy's three-pointer gave the Panthers a 12-4 lead just four minutes into the game and PSU would never look back. LeRoy got to the basket midway through the first half to push the margin to 20-4 and junior Devin Cooper (Newfield, N.Y.) made it a 26-point game, 35-9, with just over five minutes left in the opening half.
The lead ballooned to 30, 57-27, on senior Joe Simpson's (Manchester, N.H.) triple four minutes into the second half and the Panthers would lead by at least 18 up until the seven minute mark. The Cadets would whittle the margin down to 72-64 with 3:23 to play, but Plymouth State responded with a 7-0 spurt to keep the hosts at bay.
PSU goes to 2-1 with the win, as Norwich dips to 0-2 to start the year.
Plymouth State 81, Norwich 70
Plymouth State (2-1)
How it Happened.
- LeRoy came out on fire, scoring eight points in the first four minutes to help PSU build a 12-4 advantage.
- Plymouth State forced six turnovers and held the Cadets scoreless over the next seven minutes of play (0-for-7), and Simpson's jumper made it 22-4 with 9:32 left in the half.
- Sophomore Manny Sanchez (Lawrence, Mass.) connected twice from the charity stripe and Cooper laid it in after a Simpson steal to push the margin to 35-9 with five minutes to go.
- The teams played fairly even the remainder of the half, with the Cadets pulling to within 45-21 on a three-pointer just before the clock expired.
- PSU played with a sizeable lead the majority of the second half, with Simpson pushing the advantage to 30, 57-27, on a triple four minutes into the stanza.
- The Cadets attempted to get back into the game, using a 14-4 run to cut the lead to 65-46 midway through the period. After a Cooper basket, Norwich responded with another lengthy run, 14-2 this time, to pull to within 71-60 at the five minute mark.
- A pair of Norwich free throws cut the lead all the way down to eight points, 72-64, with 3:23 to play, but PSU answered with a 7-0 spurt, highlighted by Sanchez's three-pointer, to restore order and the Panthers were able to coast from there.
Inside the Numbers:
- LeRoy finished 11-of-19 from the field and sank three triples while adding five rebounds and a pair of steals.
- Sophomore Manny Alisandro (Manchester, N.H.) barely missed a third-straight double-double after recording 16 points (6-of-9 shooting) and eight rebounds.
- Sanchez came off the bench for 12 points (4-of-5) and four rebounds in just 12 minutes, while Cooper notched his first double-double of the year with a 12-point, 11-rebound effort.
- PSU forced 20 Norwich turnovers and owned a 44-28 advantage in the paint while shooting 46.5% (33-of-71) for the game.
- PSU welcomes Rivier to Foley Gymnasium on Tuesday (Nov. 19) at 7:30 p.m.
– 30 –