Cooper's double-double paces Panthers in non-conference setback
STANDISH, Maine – Junior Devin Cooper (Newfield, N.Y.) scored a season-high 20 points and added 13 rebounds, but Saint Joseph's College used a second half run to pull away from Plymouth State University, 87-74, in a non-conference men's basketball game at the Harold Alfond Center on Wednesday night.
The game was knotted at 60-60 midway through the second half, but the Monks used an 18-4 surge over the next seven minutes to seize control and the Panthers were unable to recover.
PSU slips to 4-3, while Saint Joseph's improves to 2-4.
Plymouth State 74, Saint Joseph's 87
Plymouth State (4-3)
Saint Joseph's (2-4)
How it Happened.
- Cooper pulled down an offensive rebound and hit the put back to give the Panthers a 16-8 lead after the first 5:43.
- Saint Joseph's followed with a 10-2 spurt, capped by a breakaway dunk by junior Jack Casale (Portland, Maine), to tie the game with 12 minutes left in the half.
- The Monks pulled ahead with an 8-0 run and the hosts pushed the margin to 40-31 with four minutes to go.
- Senior Joe Simpson (Manchester, N.H.) was fouled from behind the arc and sank all three free throws and sophomore Manny Alisandro (Manchester, N.H.) drilled a triple but Saint Joseph's went into the break with a 46-40 lead.
- Plymouth State evened the game with six straight points and the game stayed close through the middle of the frame.
- Senior Jaylen LeRoy (Manchester, N.H.) hit a layup with 12:32 to play, giving the Panthers a 56-55 advantage, but that was the last lead the team would hold as Casale converted an old-fashioned three-point play on the ensuing possession.
- PSU tied the game at 58-58 and again at 60-60, but the Panthers were limited to just four points over the next 7:50 as SJC pull away.
Inside the Numbers:
- Cooper connected on 10-of-16 field goal attempts for his 20 points, while his 13 rebounds matched a season-best.
- LeRoy added 11 points, while Alisandro and Rivera chipped in with ten points apiece. Rivera dished out a career-high 11 assists and Alisandro grabbed eight boards.
- Casale led all players with 31 points on 11-of-14 shooting and added nine rebounds, while three other Monks reached double-digits.
- SJC held slight edges in rebounds (43-41), assists (19-17) and points in the paint (44-42), while the Panthers' reserves outscored their counterparts, 17-5.
- Plymouth State hosts Rhode Island College in the Little East Conference opener on Saturday (Dec. 7) with tip-off set for 3:00 p.m.
– 30 –