LeRoy paces Panthers with game-high 21 points
DANBURY, Conn. – Senior Jaylen LeRoy (Manchester, N.H.) led all players with a game-high 21 points, but Western Connecticut State University used a 31-12 run over the final ten minutes to earn a 71-60 win over Plymouth State University in a Little East Conference (LEC) men's basketball game at Feldman Arena on Saturday afternoon.
WestConn built a 27-16 lead with five minutes left in the opening half, but the Panthers used an 11-2 surge to pull to within 29-27 at the half. Sophomore Manny Sanchez (Lawrence, Mass.) drained a three to open the second half and later Plymouth State took a 48-40 lead on LeRoy's triple with 9:52 remaining. After the Colonials went back in front, LeRoy hit from downtown to cut the margin to 61-58 with just over three minutes remaining, but the hosts closed out the game with a 10-2 run to secure the win.
Plymouth State drops to 5-5 and 0-2 in the LEC, while WestConn moves to 9-3 and 3-0 in league play.
Plymouth State 60, WestConn 71
Plymouth State (5-5, 0-2 LEC)
WestConn (9-3, 3-0 LEC)
How it Happened.
- WestConn reeled off a 12-1 run midway through the first half to come away with a 27-16 advantage.
- The Panthers rallied, though, as LeRoy's jumper sparked an 11-2 surge over the final four minutes of the half. A pair of LeRoy free throws made it 27-25 with just under a minute to play and the teams traded baskets with junior Gerald Fleming (Tampa, Fla.) cutting the halftime deficit to 29-27.
- Sanchez gave PSU the lead with his trifecta from the right wing to kick off the second half before sophomore Dante Rivera (Methuen, Mass.) heated up for the Panthers.
- Rivera came up with a steal and converted the fast break layup while getting fouled in the process. His ensuing free throw extended the Panthers' lead to 41-38 with just over 12 minutes to play.
- Two minutes later Rivera drove and kicked the ball out to LeRoy, who drained a shot from beyond the arc to give Plymouth State its biggest lead of the day, 48-40, with 9:52 remaining.
- WestConn rallied to knot the game at 50-50 three minutes later and the score was deadlocked at 53-53 with 5:47 to go.
- The hosts pulled ahead with a 7-0 spurt, but LeRoy hit from distance to cut the margin to 61-58 with 3:14 left to play.
- WestConn answered with a jumper and driving dunk and the Colonials hit all of their free throws down the stretch to stave off any PSU comeback bid.
Inside the Numbers:
- LeRoy went 6-of-15 from the field and 3-of-8 from downtown, while draining all six of his free throw attempts to account for his 21 points. He added six boards and two assists.
- Rivera finished with 14 points and game-highs of five assists and four steals.
- Sophomore Manny Alisandro (Manchester, N.H.) ripped down a game-best 12 rebounds, while Sanchez chipped in with nine points and three boards.
- WestConn owned a 44-30 advantage on the glass and went 20-for-22 from the charity stripe.
- Plymouth State returns to Foley Gymnasium to host rival Keene State in an LEC clash on Tuesday (Jan. 7) at 7:30 p.m.
– 30 –