LeRoy leads Panthers to fifth-straight win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Jaylen LeRoy (Manchester, N.H.) was scorching hot from the opening tip, pouring in a game-high 26 points in just 21 minutes as Plymouth State University got out to a fast start to roll past Northern Vermont University-Lyndon, 92-60, in a non-conference men's basketball game on Spirit Night at Foley Gymnasium Tuesday night.
LeRoy came out on a mission, scoring 15 points in the first five minutes, as PSU exploded out of the gates for a 21-2 lead. Plymouth State held a 57-35 advantage at the half and the Panthers never let up in the second half to coast to the win.
Plymouth State wins for the sixth time in seven games to run its record to 11-7, while Lyndon, mired in a nine-game skid, falls to 4-14.
Plymouth State 92, NVU-Lyndon 60
Plymouth State (11-7)
How it Happened.
- The Panthers got out to a quick start as LeRoy nailed a pair of threes during a 12-2 run to open the game.
- LeRoy hit from downtown again as part of a personal 7-0 spurt and moments later junior Gerald Fleming's (Tampa, Fla.) layup made it a 27-7 lead at the seven-minute mark.
- Sophomores Luke Fredsell (Whitesboro, N.Y.) and Zach Falkenburg (Bridgeport, N.Y.) both connected from long range as the Hornets trimmed the margin to 32-15 with 10:29 left in the half.
- LeRoy and sophomore Dante Rivera (Methuen, Mass.) each drilled threes in response as the lead surged to 51-26 with 4:22 remaining.
- Fleming finished after a pretty feed from sophomore Chris McCarthy (Chelmsford, Mass.), but sophomore Kyle Cary (Selkirk, N.Y.) hit a straight-on three at the other end to make it 55-33 with less than a minute to go.
- The teams traded baskets in the final 60 seconds, with Fleming throwing down a breakaway dunk to give PSU a 57-35 halftime lead.
- The Panthers used a 9-0 run over the first three minutes of the second half as the lead ballooned to 31, 66-35.
- Junior Max Osgood (Nashua, N.H.) finished in the paint with 13:31 left and freshman Jason Reynolds (Lunenburg, Mass.) scored his first career points with an offensive rebound and put-back to make it 89-55 with 3:40 remaining and the Panthers coasted from there.
Inside the Numbers:
- LeRoy went 10-of-18 from the floor and drained 4-of-8 three-pointers for his 26 points. Fleming added 13 points (6-of-6) and six rebounds, while Rivera went 5-of-8 for 11 points and four assists.
- Junior Devin Cooper (Newfield, N.Y.) recorded game-highs of ten rebounds and five assists as 14 different players saw court time for the Panthers.
- Cary led the Hornets with 12 points and eight rebounds, with Falkenburg chipping in with ten points.
- PSU reached the 90-point threshold for the fourth time this season and second time in its five-game winning streak.
- The Panthers held a 58-29 lead in the rebounding column and racked up 20 assists and eight steals.
- Plymouth State hosts WestConn in a Little East Conference clash on Saturday (Feb. 1) at 3:00 p.m.
- NVU-Lyndon heads to UMaine-Presque Isle for a weekend series starting Friday (Jan. 31) at 7:30 p.m.
– 30 –