Late goal lifts #11 Beavers past Panthers
BABSON PARK, Mass. – Junior Rob Devaney (Reading, Mass.) scored at 17:05 of the third period Saturday afternoon as Babson College rallied to defeat visiting Plymouth State University, 4-3, in non-conference men's ice hockey action at the Babson Skating Center.
Senior Ian McGilvrey (Omaha, Neb.) had a goal and an assist for Plymouth State, while classmate Tommy Dowell (Olathe, Kan.) and fellow senior Michael Economos (Crystal Lake, Ill.) each scored once for the Panthers.
Babson, ranked 11th nationally by both USCHO.com and D3hockey,com, is now 1-1-1 on the year, while Plymouth State drops to 1-2-0.
at Babson Skating Center, Babson Park, Mass. – Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016
Babson 4, Plymouth State 3
Records: PSU 1-2-0; Babson 1-1-1
* Senior Bill Seligman (Toronto, Ont.) had a goal and two assists for the Beavers, while sophomore Tommy Munichiello (Weymouth, Mass.) added a goal and an assist. Sophomore Matt Holtshouser (Manchester, N.H.) scored his first career goal and seniors Dan Casey (Chatham, N.J.) and Tim Searles (Chesapeake, Va.), and junior Jake Donahue (Groveland, Mass.) all recorded an assist in the win.
* Babson jumped on top 1-0 on a power play goal from Holtshouser just 1:33 into the contest, and extended the lead to 2-0 on another power play tally, this time by Seligman, at the 12:18 mark of the first. Plymouth State responded though, scoring two goals over the next three and a half minutes to tie the game. Economos cut the Babson lead in half at 12:34 and McGilvrey made it 2-2 with 4:12 left in the stanza.
* Both teams were unable to convert on short 5-on-3 power plays in the second period before the Panthers took their first lead of the game on a power play strike by Dowell just 18 seconds before the second intermission.
* Devaney, junior Josh Casper (Lake Forest, Ill.) and Seligman all hit the post in the third period for the Beavers before Munichello tied the game 13 seconds into a power play at the 12:09 mark. Devaney then notched the go-ahead goal with a shot over the shoulder of Plymouth State sophomore goalie Evan Morelli (Reading, Mass.) to make it 4-3 with 2:55 left in the game.
* Sophomore Bryan Botcher (Mequon, Wis.) turned away 24 shots to earn the win in his first career start for Babson. Morelli finished with 35 saves for the Panthers.
* The Beavers held a 39 -27 edge in shots and went 3-for-7 on the power play. Plymouth State, which committed 10 penalties, scored once on three power play chances.
* The Panthers play their first Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) game Thursday at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth (7:30 p.m.) Babson returns to action on Friday when it hosts Skidmore at 7 p.m.
(Courtesy of Babson Sports Information)
-- 30 --