Volonnino scores lone goal for Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Tyler Warila (Shirley, Mass.) scored the game-winning goal a minute and 23 seconds into overtime Saturday evening as Fitchburg State University defeated Plymouth State University, 2-1, in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) men's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink.
Warila tipped home a shot from the point by sophomore Josh Victor (Killeen, Texas), who had intercepted a PSU clearing pass. The outcome handed the Panthers their first conference loss of the season as PSU fell to 4-3 overall and 3-1 in the MASCAC. Fitchburg State improved to 3-3-1 overall and 3-1-1 in MASCAC play.
Sophomore Kirby Saari (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) made 36 saves to earn the win in the Falcons' net as PSU out-shot the visitors, 37-24.
at Hanaway Rink, Plymouth, N.H. – Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016
Fitchburg State 2, Plymouth State 1 (OT)
Records: PSU 4-3-0 (3-1 MASCAC); FSU 3-3-1 (3-1-1 MASCAC)
* PSU outshot the Falcons 13-4 in the first period but couldn't put one past Saari, despite two power play opportunities.
* The Panthers had a 13-7 margin in shots in the middle period, but the game remained scoreless as Saari and PSU freshman netminder Thierry Messervier (Montreal, Que.) stopped all attempts. PSU had two more power play tries and Fitchburg came up empty on their only chance.
* Sophomore Matt Volonnino (Hacketstown, N.J.) needed just 17 seconds in the third period to finally break through for Plymouth State. He slid a puck through heavy traffic in the crease that found its way through Saari's pads.
* Fitchburg had a couple of chances to tie the game but Warila hit the cross bar on a slapshot with 12 minutes remaining, and sophomore Michael Fretz (Seattle, Wash.) was robbed on a glove save by Messervier moments later.
* The Falcons eventually tied the game with 6:06 remaining in regulation when senior Mike Fish (Salisbury, Mass.) found freshman Kyle Hillick (Byfield, Mass.) alone in the slot, and Hillick snapped a shot past Messervier low to the stick side.
* Fitchburg nearly won the game in regulation but Messervier stopped sophomore Nick DiNicola (Wolcott, Conn.) on a breakway with a minute to go.
* The visitors won the game on the first shot for either team in the extra session.
* Neither team was able to convert on the power play, PSU going 0-for -6 and FSU 0-for-5.
* Messervier suffered his first loss of the season (3-1) after making 22 saves. Saari earned his first win (1-1).
* Plymouth State returns to action on Thursday, Dec. 1, with a MASCAC home game against Worcester State University.
* Fitchburg State heads to the Skidmore College Invitational next weekend, taking on Neumann College on Saturday, Nov. 26, at 5:00 p.m.
-- 30 --