Third-period goal by Dotolo lifts Nor'Easters
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Nik Dotolo (Peabody, Mass.) broke a 2-2 tie midway through the third period Thursday evening and the University of New England went on to a 3-2 victory over Plymouth State University in a non-conference men's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink.
The Nor'Easters led 2-0 after one period before the Panthers came back to tie the score with a pair of second-period short-handed goals. PSU had a 17-6 shot advance in the third period but Dotolo's shot from the right point went through traffic in front of the net into the goal, proving to be the game-winner.
UNE improves to 5-4-1 overall with the victory, while PSU drops to 6-4 overall. Plymouth State's four losses are by a total of five goals.
at Hanaway Rink, Plymouth, N.H. – Thursday, Dec. 8, 2016
Univ. of New England 3, Plymouth State 2
Records: PSU 6-4-0; NE 5-4-1
* Sophomore Andrew Slotnick (Canterbury, Conn.) put the visitors on the board with a power play goal midway through the opening frame on a rebound off a shot by freshman Ryan Broom (Northville, Mich.).
* Senior Trevor Fleurent (Biddeford, Maine) doubled the margin two minutes later on a shot from the slot after a pass from behind the net from sophomore Brady Fleurent (Biddeford, Maine). Trevor leads the team with nine goals.
* Sophomore Ryan Stevens (Colleyville, Texas) set up PSU's first goal, forechecking and stealing the puck along the left boards and feeding sophomore Matt Volonnino (Hacketstown, N.J.) for a short-handed marker at 8:37.
* Sophomore Tim Perron (Northborough, Mass.) evened the score four minutes later with another shorty, pounding home a rebound after senior Michael Economos (Crystal Lake, Ill.) took a shot on a 2-on-1 break.
* Freshman Tate Sproxton (Surrey, B.C.) earned the win (2-0-0) in the UNE goal, making 31 saves. PSU freshman netminder Thierry Messervier (Montreal, Que.) finished with 18 saves at the other end.
* Plymouth State returns to action on Saturday, Dec. 10, with a non-conference home game against Castleton University at 6:00 p.m.
* UNE wraps up the semester with a Commonwealth Coast Conference game Saturday at Nichols College (3:40 p.m.)
* PSU's game Saturday includes the Teddy Bear Toss, with fans buying Teddy Bears and throwing them onto the ice following PSU's first goal. The Bears will then be donated to the Children's Hospital at Dartmouth (CHaD).
-- 30 --