Perron collects three points for Panthers in MASCAC victory
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Tim Perron (Northborough, Mass.) tallied a goal and an assist Thursday evening to lead Plymouth State University to a 5-1 victory over the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) men's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink.
PSU sophomore goaltender Evan Morelli (Reading, Mass.) had a busy night between the pipes for the Panthers, earning the victory (4-2-1) with 36 saves as the visitors rolled up a 37-24 advantage in shots on goal.
The Panthers strengthened its hold in the MASCAC standings, improving to 8-5-1 overall and 6-1-0 in conference play. UMD remains in second place at 8-5-0 overall and 5-3-0 in the conference.
at Hanaway Rink, Plymouth, N.H. – Thursday, Jan. 12, 2017
Plymouth State 5, UMass Dartmouth 1
Records: PSU 8-5-1 (6-1 MASCAC); UMD 8-5-0 (5-3-0 MASCAC)
* Perron gave the Panthers the lead with an unassisted short-handed goal midway through the first period. He assisted on the next goal by sophomore Ryan Stevens (Colleyville, Texas) that put PSU up 2-0 after one period.
* The teams traded goals early in the middle frame. Sophomore Michael Covach (Shillington, Pa.) converted from the slot after senior Ian McGilvrey (Omaha, Neb.) stole the puck along the left boards and fed Kovach in the middle.
* UMD answered six minutes later when senior Tanner Zacharewicz (Ludlow, Mass.) stole a clearing pass at the point and scored an unassisted goal for his first of the season.
* The score remained 3-1 PSU from the eighth minute of the second period until late in the third period when the Panthers sealed the win with two goals in 33 seconds. Senior Michael Economos (Crystal Lake, Ill.) put home a rebound after Stevens was stopped on two straight shots with 4:17 remaining, and senior Dan Dupell (Collegeville, Pa.) finished off the scoring with a goal from Perron and sophomore Ludvig Steenberg (Stockholm, Sweden) with 3:44 to go.
* Morelli made 14 saves in the second period and 15 in the third as UMD out-shot PSU30-15 over the final 40 minutes.
* Junior Drew Michals (Newton, Mass.) made 19 saves in the UMD net but fell to 8-5-0.
* Stevens is tied for first in the MASCAC and ranked sixth nationally with 12 goals in 14 games (0.86 per game).
* Both teams play MASCAC games on Saturday as PSU travels to Salem State University for a 2:00 p.m. contest and UMD hosts Westfield State University at 4:00 p.m.
-- 30 --