Stevens nets lone goal for Panthers
SALEM, Mass. – A Brandon Platt (Pittsburgh, Pa.) penalty shot in the second period was enough for the Vikings of Salem State to earn a 1-1 tie Saturday afternoon against MASCAC rival Plymouth State University in men's ice hockey action at Rockett Arena.
The tie brought the first place Panthers to7-5-2 on the year while their Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference record goes to 5-1-1. Salem State is now 5-7-3 on the season and 4-2-2 in the MASCAC.
The Panthers scored their only goal in the first period when sophomore leading scorer Ryan Stevens (Colleyville, Texas) converted a power play goal at 12:47. Stevens shares with MASCAC lead and is tied for sixth in the nation with 13 goals in 15 games.
at Rockett Arena, Salem, Mass. – Saturday, Jan. 14, 2017
Plymouth State 1, Salem State 1 (OT)
Records: PSU 8-5-1 (6-1 MASCAC); UMD 8-5-0 (5-3-0 MASCAC)
* Jason Pucciarelli (Newmarket, ONT) had a busy day in net for the Vikings as he made an outstanding 35 saves. Plymouth State goalie Thierry Messervier (Chambly, QUE) was strong at the other end, finishing with 27 stops.
* Three-and-a-half minutes into the second, Plymouth State forward Tim Larocque (Middleboro, Mass.) tripped Platt in open ice that was enough to award him the penalty shot. Platt capitalized on Larocque's mistake as he beat Messervier with a patient move that opened up the entire left side of the net for the easy back hander to tie the game at 1-1.
* Midway through the period, Salem State back-to-back power play chances. However, Salem State was unable to convert on both chances as they ended the night 0-5 on the power play.
* After a scoreless third period, the two sides headed to overtime to decide the outcome of the game. In five minutes of extra play, Pucciarelli stood strong, withstanding constant pressure from the Panthers' attack. Pucciarelli made four saves in overtime including one on Chris Zuccaro (Hudson, N.H.) in the final seconds that denied Zuccaro low on Pucciarelli's left pad which preserved the tie.
* Plymouth State outshot the Vikings 36-27 while also controlling face-offs 37-31.
* Both teams play MASCAC home games again on Thursday, Jan. 19 as PSU hosts Framingham State at 6:00 p.m. and Salem State entertains Fitchburg State at 7:00 p.m.
(Courtesy of Salem State Sports Information)
-- 30 --