Carroll scores two goals for Panthers, including the game-winner
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Quinn Carroll (Amherst, N.H.) scored two goals, including the game-winner 38 seconds into overtime Thursday evening as Plymouth State University got past upset-minded Framingham State University, 5-4, in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) men's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink.
The first-place Panthers led 4-1 on Carroll's first goal of the game midway through the second period, but the last-place Rams came from behind with two goals in the second period and one in the third to force overtime. The tying goal by sophomore Ryan McDonough (Dorchester, Mass.) came with nine minutes left in regulation.
PSU maintains a hold on first place in the MASCAC with a 7-1-1 conference record (9-5-2 overall), while FSU is now winless in nine conference games, 1-14-0 overall. The Panthers are 3-1-2 in overtime games this season.
MASCAC Men's Ice Hockey
at Hanaway Rink, Plymouth, N.H. – Thursday, Jan. 19, 2017
Plymouth State 5, Framingham State 4 (OT)
Records: PSU 9-5-2 (7-1-1 MASCAC); FRAM 1-14-0 (0-9-0 MASCAC)
* The Panthers also got goals from sophomores Teddy McCarran (Derry, N.H.) and Ryan Stevens (Colleyville, Texas) and senior Michael Economos (Crystal Lake, Ill.). It was McCarran's first of the season, while Stevens leads the team with 14 goals and Economos is second with 10.
* Senior Vaughn Guetens (Cheshire, Conn.) and junior Chris Andre (New Bedford, Mass.) tallied a goal and an assist to lead the Rams, Guetens his third of the season and Andre his second. Junior Tyler Colacchio (Bellingham, Mass.) also tallied his fourth of the year.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* McCarran deflected home a shot from the point in the slot at 6:29 of the first period to PSU on the board. The visitors answered two minutes later with a power play goal, as Guetens took a shot from the right circle that was kicked away by freshman goalie Andreas Pettersson (Trollhattan Sweden) but Andre blasted home the rebound from the left circle.
* PSU scored three goals in a seven-minute span in the second period to open up a 4-1 lead. Stevens put in a rebound at 6:11 to put the Panthers ahead; Economos fired a shot in from the slot at 11:57, and Carroll one-timed a pass from Dupell from the left circle at 13:23.
* Colacchio started the comeback for Framingham when he put a shot through Petterson's pads at 14:58, and Guetens blasted a slap shot from just inside the blue line that found the top right corner to cut the margin to 4-3 after two periods.
* McDonough evened the score at 4-4 with a rebound goal with 9:08 on the clock, setting up the extra session. Carroll won it for the home team when he scored off a loose puck near the right circle. Carroll had just one goal on the season entering the game.
* Petterson earned the victory in his first career start (1-0-0) with 24 saves. Freshman Greg Harney (East Haven, Conn.) took the loss for Framingham, making 29 saves.
* Framingham was 2-for-3 on power play opportunities while PSU came up empty on three tries with a man advantage.
* Both teams play MASCAC games on Saturday as PSU travels to Fitchburg State University for a 4:00 p.m. contest and Framingham State visits Westfield State University at 5:30 p.m.
-- 30 --