Balanced scoring shines as Panthers continue winning ways
FITCHBURG, Mass. – The Plymouth State University men's ice hockey team used balanced scoring Saturday afternoon to defeat Fitchburg State University, 4-2, in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action on "Pink the Rink" Night at the Wallace Civic Center.
The Panthers are now 3-0-1 in their last four games to improve to 10-5-2 overall, maintaining first place in the MASCAC with an 8-1-1 mark. Fitchburg State dropped its fourth straight and dipped to 7-9-1 overall and 4-6-1 in the MASCAC.
PSU took the lead with first-period goals by sophomore Ludvig Steenberg (Stockholm, Sweden) and senior Tommy Dowell (Olathe, Kan.). Senior Tord Thoresen (Oppegard, Norway) added a second-period marker and senior Michael Economos (Crystal Lake, Ill.) sealed the win with a third-period power play goal.
at Wallace Civic Center, Fitchburg, Mass. – Saturday, Jan. 21, 2017
Plymouth State 4, Fitchburg State 2
Records: PSU 10-5-2 (8-1-1 MASCAC); FIT 7-9-1 (4-6-1 MASCAC)
* Plymouth State got on the board four minutes into the game as senior Dan Dupell (Collegeville, Pa.)
fed the puck from behind the net to Steenberg in front, who buried the opening goal just inside the far-post for the 1-0 margin.
* Nine minutes later, the Panthers doubled their lead, this time with a 3-on-2 breakaway. Sophomore Ryan Stevens (Colleyville, Texas) charged down the left-side of the ice before centering his pass to Dowell at the right face-off dot, who quickly fired a shot near side for his third tally of the season to make the score 2-0 after one period of play.
* The Falcons were able to cut into the deficit (2-1) early in the second period when sophomore Michael Fretz - inside the attacking zone – maneuvered past a Panther defender and scored his sixth tally of the season.
* Plymouth State got the goal back with seven minutes left in the second as senior defenseman Thoresen sent a shot on net from the point, getting it to trickle into the goal to pick up his first goal of the year – unassisted for the 3-1 edge.
* Fitchburg State had a quick response (3-2) three minutes later while at the end of a 5-on-3 power play. With just three seconds left on the advantage, sophomore Connor McPherson slapped it through traffic in front of the net on to the stick of senior Jon Johannesson, who redirected it into the back of the net for his third goal of the season.
* In the final stanza, the Panthers added an insurance goal with 15:34 left in the contest, O'Brien won the faceoff at the right dot, passing it over to Economos directly in front of the net, who wristed a shot just under the cross bar for his team-leading 11th marker, resulting in the 4-2 final.
* Panther sophomore Evan Morelli (Reading, Mass.) made 30 saves in the win (5-2-1), while Falcons sophomore Kirby Saari finished with 28 stops.
* Plymouth State travels to Worcester State on Thursday, Jan. 26 at 8:30 p.m. Fitchburg State hosts MASCAC-foe UMass-Dartmouth on the same day at 7:00 p.m.
(Contributions from Fitchburg State Sports Information)
-- 30 --