Messervier posts first career shutout for Panthers
WORCESTER, Mass. – Freshman Thierry Messervier (Montreal, Que.) made 19 saves Thursday evening as Plymouth State University blanked Worcester State University, 5-0, in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) men's ice hockey action at the Hart Recreation Center.
The Panthers extended their unbeaten streak to five games (4-0-1), improving to 11-5-2 overall and 9-1-1 in the MASCAC. Worcester State had a three-game win streak stopped and dipped to 6-8-3 overall and 4-5-2 in the MASCAC.
Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Men's Ice Hockey
at Hart Recreation Center, Fitchburg, Mass. – Thursday, Jan. 26, 2017
Plymouth State 5, Worcester State 0
Records: PSU 11-5-2 (9-1-1 MASCAC); WOR 6-8-3 (4-5-2 MASCAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Following a scoreless and evenly played first period, Plymouth State came out shooting in the second and scored three goals on 18 shots.
* The scoring started just two minutes into the second when Ludvig Steenberg (Stockholm, Sweden) made a lateral pass behind the net to Dupell, who then looped the puck in front of the net on the left side for Carroll to clear the puck into the back left of the net.
* The visitors doubled their lead 9:01 into the second period when Flanagan scored just outside the crease on forward passes from Victor Bergstrom (Angelholm, Sweden) and Ryan Stevens (Colleyville, Texas). A minute later, Plymouth State added another tally to the scoreboard on a breakaway by Dupell.
* Plymouth State held a 33-19 shooting edge on the Lancers.
* Worcester State's starting goalkeeper Josh Reinstein (Woodland Hills, Calif.) suffered the loss as he stopped 13-of-16 shots in the first 30:32 minutes of play. Cory Lignelli (Glastonbury, Conn.) relieved Reinstein with 29:28 to go in the game and recorded 15 saves.
* Both teams play MASCAC games again on Saturday as Plymouth State hosts Westfield State University and Worcester State (6:00 p.m.) and Worcester State travels to Salem State (2:00 p.m.)
(Contributions from Worcester State Sports Information)
-- 30 --