League-leading Panthers extend unbeaten streak to seven
NEW BEDFORD, Mass. – Senior Michael Economos (Crystal Lake, Ill.) and sophomore Ryan Stevens (Colleyville, Texas) tallied a goal and two assists each Saturday afternoon to lead Plymouth State University to a 6-3 victory over the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference match-up at Hetland Arena.
PSU used a three-goal first period to take a lead which it never relinquished. The Panthers extended their unbeaten streak to seven games (6-0-1), improving to 13-5-2 overall, and moving their MASCAC record to 11-1-1, tops in the league. Third-place UMD drops to 12-8 overall and 8-6 in conference play.
at Hetland Arena, New Bedford, Mass. – Saturday, Feb. 4, 2017
Plymouth State 6, UMass Dartmouth 3
Records: PSU 13-5-2 (11-1-1 MASCAC); UMD 12-8-0 (8-6-0 MASCAC)
* Plymouth State took full advantage of the opening 20 minutes, striking early and often. Stevens found the back of the net just 33 seconds from the opening puck drop for his MASCAC-leading 15th goal of the season.
* The momentum was in full tilt in favor of the Panthers as they struck twice more before the end of the period, outshooting the Corsairs 17-6. Strachan scored to make it 2-0 at 14:06 and Bergstrom followed with just eight seconds left in the period to make it a three-goal game.
* Junior Mike Sones (Waterdown, Ont.) scored the first of his two goals in the game at 1:36 of the second period to put the Corsairs on the board. Economos answered less than two minutes later with his 12th goal of the season, which tied Sones for third-most in the MASCAC.
* UMD junior Jerry Laakso (Tampere, Finland) and PSU senior Dan Dupell (Collegeville, Pa.) traded goals midway through the middle frame, with Dupell's goal coming on a Panther power play.
* Sophomore Quinn Carroll (Amherst, N.H.) needed less than a minute in the third period to score PSU's final goal. Sones rounded out the scoring with a power play goal with five seconds remaining in the game.
* PSU freshman Thierry Messervier (Montreal, Que.) earned the victory with a 40-save effort, improving his record to 6-3-1. Junior Drew Michals (Newton, Mass.) made 27 saves in 40:45 of ice time for UMD before Tommy Bay (Duluth, Ga.) stopped nine Panther shots in relief.
* Plymouth State continues to have the Corsairs' number as of late; the Panthers have now claimed the last seven match-ups with UMass Dartmouth, dating back to Feb. 12, 2015. UMass Dartmouth's last victory came on Jan. 17, 2015 by an 8-2 score.
* Plymouth State returns to Hanaway Rink as it hosts Salem State on Thursday with puck drop scheduled for 6 p.m. UMass Dartmouth looks to right the ship as they host Stonehill on Tuesday, starting at 7:30 p.m.
-- 30 --