Panthers capture fifth MASCAC regular season title in last six years
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – The Plymouth State University men's ice hockey team clinched its fifth Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) regular season championship in the last six years Thursday evening with a 4-1 victory over Fitchburg State University in a conference affair of Hanaway Rink.
The Panthers went up 2-0 in the first period and extended the margin to 3-0 in the second period before the Falcons got on the scoreboard. It stayed 3-1 until a Panther empty-net goal with a minute to play rounded out the scoring. PSU freshman Thierry Messervier (Montreal, Que.) made 22 saves on 23 shots to earn the victory (7-3-1).
PSU extended its unbeaten streak to 10 games (9-0-1), improving to 16-5-2 overall and 14-1-1 in the MASCAC. The Panthers clinched the #1 seed in the upcoming MASCAC Tournament. Fitchburg State slips to 10-13-1 overall and 7-9-1 in conference play. The Falcons handed the Panthers their only conference setback this season, 2-1 in overtime back on Nov. 19, but PSU takes the season series, 2-1.
at Hanaway Rink, Plymouth, N.H. – Thursday, Feb. 16, 2017
Plymouth State 4, Fitchburg State 1
Records: PSU 16-5-2 (14-1-1 MASCAC); FSU 10-13-1 (7-9-1 MASCAC)
* Senior Dan Dupell (Collegeville, Pa.) put the Panthers on the board first with a wrap-around goal less than six minutes into the game, his eighth goal of the season.
* Freshman Tim Larocque (Middleboro, Mass.) doubled the Panther lead a minute and a half later, skating with the puck from the right corner out in front and stuffing a shot just inside the left post for his fifth of the season.
* The teams traded goals just 46 seconds apart in the second period. PSU senior Matt Vermillion (South Lyon, Mich.) fired the puck on net from the right point, and it made its way through traffic and into the back of the net for Vermillion's first goal of the season.
* The Falcons finally broke through less than a minute later and a 2-on-1 break, with sophomore Michael Fretz (Seattle, Wash.) finishing off a pass from freshman Tyler Warila (Shirley, Mass.) for his team-leading ninth of the season.
* Senior Michael Economos (Crystal Lake, Ill.) capped off the scoring for PSU with an empty-netter with a minute to play.
* Fitchburg State sophomore Quinn Wold (Aurora, Colo.) made 23 saves in goal as PSU finished with a 27-23 advantage in shots on goal.
* Both teams came up empty on the power play, PSU on three tries and FSU on eight opportunities.
* Plymouth State plays its final home game of the regular season this Saturday on Senior Night at Hanaway Rink as the Panthers host Worcester State University in a MASCAC contest at 6:00 p.m.
* Fitchburg State plays its final regular season game Saturday at UMass Dartmouth (4:00 p.m.)
-- 30 --