Panthers extend unbeaten streak to 11 games
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Plymouth State University got goals from five different players Saturday night and defeated Worcester State University, 5-2, in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) men's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink.
PSU extended its unbeaten streak to 11 games (10-0-1), improving to 17-5-2 overall and 15-1-1 in the MASCAC. Worcester State drops to 9-12-3 overall and 6-9-2 in conference play. Both teams have one game remaining in the regular season.
at Hanaway Rink, Plymouth, N.H. – Saturday, Feb. 18, 2017
Plymouth State 5, Worcester State 2
Records: PSU 17-5-2 (15-1-1 MASCAC); WSU 9-12-3 (6-9-2 MASCAC)
* Following a scoreless first period that included nine penalties, Worcester State reached the scoreboard three minutes into the second period when Jim LeNoir (Exton, Pa.) and Andy DeAngelis (Poughquag, N.Y.) setup Kyle Griffin (Marlboro, Mass.) for a power play goal. Just three minutes later, the Panthers knotted the score at 1-1 on a goal from sophomore Quinn Carroll (Amherst, N.H.), assisted by Steenberg and senior Dan Dupell (Collegeville, Pa.).
* The hosts then scored four additional back-to-back goals over the next two periods to advance the score to 5-1. Junior Chris Zuccaro (Hudson, N.H.) and Steenberg both converted goals on power plays, while Stevens and McGilvrey scored third-period goals for the Panthers.
* It wasn't until the final two minutes that Worcester was able to slide one more puck into the net. Colin Whitt (South Lake, Texas) passed to senior Crissostomos Villarreal (Corona, Calif.) who made the score 5-2.
* The Lancers outshot Plymouth State 24-19 in total. Plymouth State sophomore Evan Morelli (Reading, Mass.) earned his ninth win of the year following a 22-save performance, while Worcester State's Josh Reinstien (Woodland Hills, Calif.) suffered the loss, making 14 stops.
* The games was marred with 39 penalties, including six disqualifications, and 169 minutes.
* Both teams wrap up the regular season on Tuesday, as PSU visits Westfield State University and Worcester State hosts Salem State University.
-- 30 --