Volonnino's three points lead Panthers to MASCAC win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Matt Volonnino (Hackettstown, N.J.) posted a three-point game to help Plymouth State University rally past the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, 4-2, in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) men's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink during a Salute the Troops game on Saturday night.
Volonnino picked up assists on a pair of power play goals by senior Tim Perron (Northborough, Mass.) and junior Victor Bergstrom (Angelholm, Sweden) as the Panthers built a 2-0 lead through the opening minutes of the second period.
The Corsairs controlled tempo through the middle stage of the game, rallying to tie the score at the 6:04 mark of the third period after tallies from sophomore Kai Kapossy (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) and senior Brendan McDonough (Wilmington, Mass.), but junior Alec LeFave (Hudson, N.H.) put PSU back on top just 30 seconds later and Volonnino added an insurance marker with 8:13 to play.
Prior to the game Plymouth State recognized active and retired service men and women in attendance as part of the athletics department's Salute the Troops event. Staff Sargent Derek Reiss served as the Panthers' honorary captain and led a ceremonial puck drop.
Plymouth State remains unbeaten on the year, improving to 4-0-1 and 2-0-1 in MASCAC play, while the Corsairs 0-4-0 and 0-3-0 in league action.
Plymouth State 4, UMass Dartmouth 2
Plymouth State 4-0-1, 2-0-1 MASCAC
UMass Dartmouth 0-4-0, 0-3-0 MASCAC
How it Happened:
* Perron gave the Panthers the lead with a power play tally 10:58 into the game when he beat senior goaltender Tommy Bay (Duluth, Ga.) to the glove side on a wrist shot from the point.
* Plymouth State doubled the lead 3:31 into the second period. Bergstrom flipped the puck over the shoulder of Bay from the doorstep with the man advantage.
* PSU nearly went up 3-0 midway through the period, but Bay was saved by the crossbar after a one-on-one by freshman Mike McPherson (Somerville, Mass.).
* Kapossy converted a pass from senior Jonathan Ruiz (Williamstown, N.J.) along the end boards and stuffed a wraparound shot past the left blocker pad of PSU senior goalie Evan Morelli (Reading, Mass.) at the 14:41 mark of the second period to pull the Corsairs to within 2-1.
* Freshman Jimmy Pelton (Syracuse, N.Y.) battled along the end boards before poking a pass out to McDonough on the doorstep for a one-timer to draw UMD even 6:04 into the third frame.
* Plymouth State answered right back just 30 seconds later. Some quick passing set up LeFave for a shot from the far side slot and he beat Bay to the glove side to restore the lead.
* Volonnino capped the scoring with 8:13 left to play when he cleaned up a rebound off a shot by senior Michael Covach (Shillington, Pa.).
Inside the Numbers:
* The game was a rematch of last season's MASCAC semifinal in which UMD upset the top-seeded Panthers by a 3-1 margin.
* With two more assists Covach now has nine on the season. Entering the game he led the nation in points per game (2.75) and was second with 1.75 assists per game.
* LeFave has scored in each of the last two games.
* McDonough's goal was his team-leading fourth of the season.
* Morelli finished with 26 saves for the Panthers to improve to 3-0-1, while Bay dropped to 0-2-0 despite a 20-save effort.
* The Panthers improved to 22-6-2 against UMD since joining the MASCAC in 2009-10.
* Plymouth State welcomes Castleton to Hanaway Rink for a non-conference game on Tuesday (Nov. 13) with puck-drop set for 6:00 p.m.
* The Corsairs are back in conference action on Thursday (Nov. 15) with a road game at Westfield State (7:35 p.m.).
|Honorary Captain Staff Sargent Derek Reiss with the ceremonial puck drop.||Pemi shows support for the troops.|
– 30 –