Four Panthers record multi-point game in win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Ryan Stevens (Colleyville, Texas) notched a four-point game, classmate Matt Volonnino (Hackettstown, N.J.) scored a pair of goals and an assist and junior Victor Bergstrom (Angelholm, Sweden) dished out three assists as Plymouth State University topped Castleton University, 7-0, in a non-conference men's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink on Tuesday night.
Senior Michael Covach (Shillington, Pa.) added a goal and an assist to remain among the nation's leaders in points per game.
Plymouth State continues its hot streak to open the season, extending its unbeaten streak to six games while improving to 5-0-1, while Castleton falls to 0-4-2.
Plymouth State 7, Castleton 0
Plymouth State 5-0-1
How it Happened:
* Stevens got the scoring started just 3:50 into the game when he buried a wrister from the point to the near side.
* Covach picked up a power play tally less than 90 seconds later when he stuffed home a rebound from a Stevens' shot from the point.
* Plymouth State tacked on another power play goal late in the second period when Volonnino put home another rebound off a Stevens' shot.
* Freshman Grant Dewitt (Bowling Green, Ohio) picked up his first collegiate point early in the third period. The rookie carried the puck into the offensive zone along the right side, cut behind the net and found sophomore Peter Laviolette (Nashville, Tenn.) open in front for a one-timer to extend the lead to 4-0.
* Volonnino and sophomore JR Barone (West Chester, Pa.) added power play goals in the middle stages of the period, and junior Drake Longaker (Gilroy, Calif.) capped the scoring with a blast from the blue line with less than a minute remaining.
Inside the Numbers:
* With his two points, Covach remains second in the nation in points per game averaging 2.50.
* Bergstrom is the country's top scoring defenseman with a 2.00 points per game average.
* Freshman Will Vanderveen (Troy, Mich.) also picked up his first collegiate point, assisting Barone's third period marker.
* Senior Evan Morelli (Reading, Mass.) turned aside all 21 shots he faced to pick up his eighth career shutout and second of the year.
* Castleton freshman Kyle Alaverdy (Grand Falls-Windsor, N.F.) made 29 saves in his first career start.
* Plymouth State avenged last season's 3-1 loss to the Spartans.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"I thought we played really well tonight," said head coach Craig Russell. "Our third and fourth lines were really good on the forecheck and were able to draw multiple penalties. We got into a rhythm towards the end of the second period and rolled from there."
* Plymouth State visits MASCAC rival Salem State for a league contest on Thursday (Nov. 16) with puck-drop set for 7:00 p.m.
* Castleton returns home Friday (Nov. 17) for a pair of weekend non-conference games against SUNY Canton. Both games are scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
– 30 –