Bergstrom scores Panthers' lone goal
MILTON, Mass. – Junior Victor Bergstrom (Ängelholm, Sweden) picked up his eighth goal of the year, but Curry College topped Plymouth State University, 4-1, in a non-conference men's ice hockey game at Max Ulin Rink on Tuesday night.
Curry took the lead in the first three minutes, but the Panthers tied the game early in the second period. Curry went back in front with a goal in the final minute of the second period, then added an insurance goal and empty-netter to wrap up the win.
Plymouth State drops its second straight game to fall to 8-3-2, as Curry improves to 7-5-2.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 1, Curry 4
Plymouth State (8-3-2)
How it Happened:
* Curry was the first to strike in the contest as senior Lionel Mauron (Lausanne, Switzerland) found the back of the net just 2:41 in to give the Colonels a 1-0 lead.
* The squads traded goals in the middle period. Plymouth State scored the equalizer when Bergström capitalized on a power play opportunity. Seniors Tim Perron (Northborough, Mass.) and Matt Volonnino (Hackettstown, N.J.) picked up the assists.
* The Colonels broke the tie with just 32 seconds left in the period when sophomore Viktor Jansson (Stockholm, Sweden) put a shot past senior goalie Evan Morelli (Reading, Mass.).
* Curry put the game away in the final period, tallying two goals in the last six minutes of regulation. Junior Billy Vizzo (Shelton, Conn.) picked up his second goal in as many games, and senior Zach White (Milford, Conn.) added an empty net goal with 1:16 remaining to secure the 4-1 win.
Inside the Numbers:
* Curry held an 11-6 advantage in shots in the first period, and a 42-25 edge in shots for the game.
* Both teams converted once on the power play with Curry going 1-for-3 and PSU going 1-for-2.
* Morelli stopped 41 shots on the night, but dropped to 7-2-2 on the year, while sophomore Cody Murch (Raleigh, N.C.) made 24 saves to pick up the win (3-1-1).
* PSU has another short turnaround before hosting Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) rival Fitchburg State on Thursday (Jan. 10) at 6:00 p.m.
* Curry returns to the ice on Saturday (Jan. 12) for a home contest against Bryn Athyn College at 4:50 p.m.
**Courtesy of Curry College Sports Information**
– 30 –