Volonnino pots team-leading 12th goal in loss
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Senior Matt Volonnino (Hackettstown, N.J.) scored his team-leading 12th goal of the season, but Plymouth State University was frustrated by Westfield State University, 3-1, in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) men's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink on Saturday night.
Plymouth State conceded two goals in the first period and trailed by the same score coming out of the second intermission. Volonnino found the back of the net early in the third, but Westfield State goaltender Thierry Messervier (Montreal, Que.) came up huge down the stretch to keep the Panthers from netting the equalizer.
The loss drops Plymouth State to 10-6-3 and 7-3-2 in MASCAC play. Westfield State improves to 10-6-3 and 7-4-1 in league action and has gone 7-1-1 over its last ten games.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 1, Westfield State 3
Plymouth State (10-6-3, 7-3-2 MASCAC)
Westfield State (10-6-3, 7-4-1 MASCAC)
How it Happened:
* Westfield State took the lead 6:42 into the first period when freshman Paul Frys (Portland, Ore.) entered the zone with speed on the nearside and fired a shot that Morelli tipped off the far side post. The rebound sat just outside the crease and junior Pearce Vance (Berkley, Mich.) poked it home.
* The Owls' lead doubled on a power play goal in the final minute of the stanza when senior Aaron Clancy (Quincy, Mass.) cleaned up the rebound from a wrist shot from the point.
* Plymouth State had multiple odd-man opportunities in the first, but could not connect for any clean looks.
* Senior Ryan Stevens (Colleyville, Texas) had an opportunity on an early power play in the second when he faked a shot from the nearside, skated around a defender and went one-on-one with Messervier, but he couldn't stuff it home.
* PSU nearly got on the board early in the third period, but a tip out front by senior Michael Covach (Shillington, Pa.) hit inside the near post and slid across the goal mouth and out.
* The Panther finally lit the lamp 5:39 into the period on a power play when senior Tim Perron (Northborough, Mass.) threw a wrist shot from the point that Volonnino tipped out of the air over the blocker of the goaltender.
* The action picked up from there, with Grade A scoring chances and big hits on both sides, but PSU was unable to cash in on the momentum to tie the game.
* Westfield State scored on an empty-netter in the final five seconds to secure the 3-1 victory.
Inside the Numbers:
* The Panthers blasted Messervier with 53 shots, while the Owls totaled 21 on the day.
* Senior Evan Morelli (Reading, Mass.) had 18 saves for the Panthers, falling to 8-5-3, while Messervier made a career-high 52 stops to improve to 10-5-3.
* PSU controlled the face-off circle, winning 52 of 83 draws.
* Neither team's power play was particularly strong, as the Owls went 1-of-6 and the Panthers 1-of-9.
* Both teams continue MASCAC play on Thursday (Jan. 31). PSU hosts Worcester State at 6:00 p.m., while the Owls head to Salem State for a 7:00 p.m. contest.
– 30 –