Stolpe, Barone score for Panthers in MASCAC setback
WESTFIELD, Mass. – Freshman Leo Stolpe (Stockholm, Sweden) and junior JR Barone (West Chester, Pa.) each scored for the second straight game, but Westfield State University pulled away from Plymouth State University, 5-2, with a pair of third period goals in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) men's ice hockey contest at Amelia Park Ice Arena on Saturday night.
PSU took an early lead, but the Owls posted a pair of goals in the later stages of the opening period for a 2-1 lead at the first intermission. Westfield State pushed the advantage to 3-1 seven minutes into the middle stanza, but Barone made it a one-goal game nine minutes later and the score would hold until the third period when the home team scored twice in a 64-second span to put the game away.
Plymouth State falls back to .500 at 2-2-0 and 2-1-0 in the MASCAC, while Westfield State moves to 2-2-1 and 2-1-0 in league action.
Plymouth State 2, Westfield State 5
Plymouth State (2-2-0, 2-1-0 MASCAC)
Westfield State (2-2-1, 2-1-0 MASCAC)
How it Happened.
- Both squads exchanged goals to start the contest, with each coming on shots from the point. Stolpe tipped in a shot by freshman Marcus Seidl (Stockholm, Sweden) just 3:43 into the game, but the Owls' Josh Boulos (Burlington, Mass.) fired a rocket on the power play to even the game at 1-1 ten minutes later.
- It appeared the period would end in a deadlock, but Westfield's Paul Frys (Portland, Ore.) snapped a wrister from the slot past the Panthers' goaltender to just over a minute left in the period to give the hosts a 2-1 lead.
- The Owls extended the lead with another power play goal on a deflection at 7:02.
- Plymouth State would close the margin when Barone fired a wrist shot from the right side of the slot to make it a 3-2 game entering the final stanza.
- Westfield State restored the two-goal lead when senior Robert Neuwirth (Zlin, Czech Republic) stole the puck from a PSU defender and rung a shot off the post and in at 9:37 of the third.
- The Owls got an insurance tally 1:04 later to account for the final score.
Inside the Numbers:
- Freshman Brendahn Brawley (Morton, Pa.) made 24 saves but took the loss to drop to 0-2-0, while ex-Panther Thierry Messervier (Montreal, Quebec) made 30 saves for the Owls.
- Both teams came out firing in the first period, with PSU recording 15 of its 32 shots in the opening 20 minutes. Westfield took 13 shots in the opening frame and 29 for the game.
- Plymouth State went 0-for-3 on the power play, while the Owls finished 2-for-6 with the extra skater.
- The Panthers visit Worcester State on Thursday (Nov. 21) for a 4:40 p.m. contest.
*** With contributions from Westfield State Sports Information ***
– 30 –