Pettersson with career-high 41 saves in setback
UTICA, N.Y. – Senior goaltender Andreas Pettersson (Trollhattan, Sweden) made a career-high 41 saves and the Plymouth State University men's ice hockey team nearly battled back from a 2-0 deficit, but #12 Utica College was able to hold on for a 2-1 win over the Panthers in the opening round of the Delta Hotels by Marriott Thanksgiving Showcase at the Adirondack Bank Center at Utica Memorial Auditorium on Friday night.
Plymouth State will square off against #9 Oswego State in the consolation round tomorrow (Nov. 30) at 4:00 p.m., while the Pioneers advance to the championship game where they will face #7 Salve Regina at 7:00 p.m.
Utica scored single goals in each of the first two periods while controlling much of the play, holding a 36-14 advantage in shots. Plymouth State played a strong final period, breaking through with a goal early in the frame, but was unable to find the equalizer in the narrow setback.
Plymouth State drops to 4-3-0 on the year, while Utica improves to 4-1-2.
Plymouth State 1, #12 Utica 2
Plymouth State (4-3-0)
#12 Utica (4-1-2)
How it Happened.
- Utica took a first period lead on a goal from sophomore Justin Allen (Rochester, N.Y.) after 7:11 of action.
- The Pioneers made it 2-0 at the 12:38 mark of the second when senior Joey Rutkowski (Rome, N.Y.) deked around a defender before getting around Pettersson with a beautiful move.
- Plymouth State applied strong offensive zone pressure to start the third and junior JR Barone (West Chester, Pa.) cut the deficit in half when he stuffed a rebound past the Pioneers' goalie on the nearside post five minutes into the period.
- Utica nearly put the game out of reach in the final minute of the period as PSU pulled Pettersson for the extra skater. A Pioneers' skater took a shot at the open net, but the puck deflected off the post.
- Plymouth State kept the puck in deep over a frantic final 30 seconds, but was unable to pot the equalizer.
Inside the Numbers:
- Pettersson's previous career high was 33 saves, accomplished twice this season in wins on Nov. 7 and Nov. 23. He has made 30+ saves in four of five games this year, but suffered his first loss to fall to 4-1-0.
- Barone's goal was his team-leading fourth of the year. He is also tops on the team with seven points.
- Freshman Myles Abbate (Norwell, Mass.) and sophomore Jarrett Slear (West Chester, Pa.) picked up assists on Barone's tally. Abbate is second on the team with six points, while Slear tallied his second helper of the year.
- Senior Gianluca Baggetta (Maple, Ontario) improved to 2-1-2 for the Pioneers after making 14 saves through the first two periods. Sophomore Sean Dickson (Millbrae, Calif.) came on for the third period and stopped five of six shots.
- Utica held a 43-20 advantage in shots, including a 36-14 edge over the first two periods.
- Neither team was successful on the power play as PSU finished 0-for-2, while Utica came up empty on three opportunities.
- Plymouth State faces #9 Oswego in the consolation game tomorrow (Nov. 30) at 4:00 p.m.
– 30 –