Panthers drop consolation game to Lakers
UTICA, N.Y. – Ninth-ranked Oswego State scored three times in the opening period to best Plymouth State University, 8-0, in the consolation game of the Delta Hotels by Marriott Thanksgiving Showcase at the Adirondack Bank Center at Utica Memorial Auditorium on Saturday afternoon.
The Lakers controlled the first period outshooting PSU by a 21-5 margin to build a 3-0 lead, and the Panthers were unable to solve Oswego goaltender David Richer (Mirabel, Quebec).
Plymouth State has dropped back-to-back games for the first time since losing three in a row in early January of last season. The Panthers fall to 4-4-0, while Oswego improves 5-3-0.
Plymouth State 0, #9 Oswego State 8
Plymouth State (4-4-0)
#9 Oswego State (5-3-0)
How it Happened.
- Oswego opened the scoring at the 5:12 mark of the opening period and never looked back, as senior Mitch Emerson (Pickering, Ontario) picked up his fourth goal of the year.
- The Lakers made it 2-0 with a power play tally with 1:55 left in the period, then added a third goal just 1:01 later.
- Oswego tacked on two more goals in the middle stanza just 1:45 apart, before putting the game out of hand with three third period goals, including two on the power play.
Inside the Numbers:
- The Lakers outshot PSU 21-5 in the opening period to set an early tone and finished the game with a 54-21 advantage in shots.
- Oswego was impressive on the power play finishing 3-of-6, while Plymouth State was held scoreless in its one opportunity.
- Junior Jake Sabourin (Catonsville, Md.) made his first appearance of the season between the pipes for the Panthers, making 36 saves but allowing seven goals over the first 42:39 of action.
- Freshman Brendahn Brawley (Morton, Pa.) recorded ten saves over the final 17:21.
- Richer earned his seventh career shutout after stopping all 21 of the Panthers' shots.
- The Panthers host Anna Maria on Thursday (Dec. 5) with puck drop set for 6:00 p.m.
– 30 –