Abbate nets tying goal in third period
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Myles Abbate (Norwell, Mass.) potted the game-tying goal in the third period and senior Andreas Pettersson (Trollhattan, Sweden) stopped every shot he faced after coming off the bench as Plymouth State University rallied to tie Anna Maria College, 3-3, in a back-and-forth non-conference men's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink on Thursday night.
Plymouth State took an early lead just 3:30 into the game, but Anna Maria evened the score in the last five minutes of the period. The Panthers jumped back in front when junior Peter Laviolette (Brentwood, Tenn.) scored a short-handed goal early in the second period, but the AMCATS answered with back-to-back power play goals to take the lead heading to the third period. Abbate evened the score just 3:41 into the third and neither goaltender would surrender another goal the rest of the way.
The tie brings Plymouth State to 4-4-1 on the year, while Anna Maria now sits at 5-1-3.
Plymouth State 3, Anna Maria 3 (OT)
Plymouth State (4-4-1)
Anna Maria (5-1-3)
How it Happened.
- Plymouth State got on the board just 3:30 into the game on a give-and-go between juniors Brett Backman (Cos Cob, Conn.) and Brandon Barillaro (Alexandria, Ontario) as they entered the zone along the far side, with Barillaro finding the back of the net on his wrist shot.
- PSU kept the pressure on thanks in part to three power plays in the first 15 minutes, including a five-on-three midway through the period, but was unable to take advantage.
- Anna Maria tied the game at the 15:07 mark when sophomore Jack Sitzman (Redondo Beach, Calif.) tipped in a shot off the stick of sophomore Gavin Proeh (Highland Park, Ill.).
- The Panthers regained the lead at 6:58 of the second period when Laviolette broke free through the neutral zone during an AMCATS power play and fired a wrist shot just inside the top left corner.
- Sitzman struck again for Anna Maria with a power play marker when he fired a wrister from the near side faceoff dot to the blocker side to even the score at 8:26.
- The AMCATS pulled ahead with another power play score at 14:38 when the puck was worked along the end boards and delivered to freshman Mike Padgeon (Sellersville, Pa.), who was stationed in the slot.
- Plymouth State knotted the score at 3:41 into the third when sophomore Mike McPherson (Somerville, Mass.) won a battle along the end boards and hit Abbate on a pass through the slot to the far side post.
- Anna Maria had a golden opportunity at the game-winner in the overtime period, but Pettersson held his position well to stuff a point-blank shot from the slot and preserve the tie.
Inside the Numbers:
- Freshman Brendahn Brawley (Morton, Pa.) got the start between the pipes, allowing three goals while making nine saves. Pettersson relieved with 5:22 left in the second period and stopped all eight shots he faced to move to 4-1-1 on the year.
- Sophomore Julius Huset (Oakdale, Minn.) made 33 saves for Anna Maria to move to 3-0-2.
- Plymouth State came up empty on the power play, going 0-for-8, while Anna Maria converted 2-of-4 opportunities.
- PSU held a 36-20 advantage in shots and won 48-of-73 faceoffs.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"I liked our response after a soft first period," said head coach Craig Russell. "Even though we gave up two in the second period, I liked our game. Our power play has to be better in crucial moments, but Anna Maria blocked a lot of shots and took any chance of threatening to score away from us."
- PSU closes out the fall semester with its annual Teddy Bear Toss game on Saturday (Dec. 7) against Salem State in a rematch of last year's MASCAC Championship game. Puck drop is set for 6:00 p.m.
- Anna Maria is also in action on Saturday (Dec. 7), heading to Post for a 2:30 p.m. contest.
– 30 –