McPherson scores twice as Sabourin earns win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Mike McPherson (Somerville, Mass.) scored twice and junior Jake Sabourin (Catonsville, Md.) earned his first win for Plymouth State University as the Panthers topped Framingham State University, 4-1, in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) men's ice hockey game at Loring Arena on Thursday night.
McPherson scored twice in the opening period to set the tone and Sabourin was solid between the pipes, registering 28 saves to pick up his first win for the Panthers.
Plymouth State improves to 6-1-1 in the MASCAC and 6-7-2 overall, while Framingham drops to 1-12-1 and 0-8-0 in conference play.
Plymouth State 4, Framingham State 1
Plymouth State (6-7-2, 6-1-1 MASCAC)
Framingham State (1-12-1, 0-8-0 MASCAC)
How it Happened.
- PSU went ahead 4:20 into the game when junior JR Barone (West Chester, Pa.) grabbed the puck along the nearside boards and sent a feed to McPherson, who skated across the middle before firing a wrist shot high to the stick side.
- McPherson struck again in the final minute of the opening frame to double the Panthers' lead.
- Freshman Marcus Seidl (Stockholm, Sweden) nearly made it 3-0 in the second period. With PSU trying to kill off a penalty, Seidl intercepted a clearing attempt by the Rams' goalie, but his shot rang the nearside post.
- The Rams cashed in on the same power play just less than a minute later when sophomore Jake Garman (Anchorage, Alaska) collected a cross-ice pass and fired a shot to the top left corner.
- Plymouth State got the goal back with a power play strike from Barone just before the second period expired. Junior Brett Backman (Cos Cob, Conn.) whipped a pass from the nearside blue line to Barone on the back door, who one-timed it past the Framingham State goalie with just one second left on the clock.
- Senior Drake Longaker (Gilroy, Calif.) got into the scoring when he blasted a wrist shot from the right face-off circle midway through the third period and Sabourin made the lead stand.
Inside the Numbers:
- McPherson picked up his first multi-goal game for PSU and now has four tallies on the season. His ten points are third most on the team.
- Freshman Myles Abbate (Norwell, Mass.) notched a pair of assists and leads the Panthers with 13 points.
- Barone finished with a goal and an assist.
- Sabourin totaled 28 saves to improve to 1-2-0 on the year.
- Freshman Blake Carlson (Clermont, Fla.) registered a career-high 59 saves for Framingham State, but dropped to 1-4-1 on the season.
- Plymouth State outshot the Rams by a 63-29 margin.
- The Panthers host Westfield State on Saturday (Jan. 18) for the annual Scouts' Day game. Puck-drop for the MASCAC contest has been moved to 5:00 p.m. due to anticipated bad weather later that evening.
– 30 –