Abbate scores again as Panthers run unbeaten streak to four
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Myles Abbate (Norwell, Mass.) potted his tenth goal of the year and Plymouth State University extended its unbeaten streak to four straight games in a 5-1 win over Worcester State University in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) men's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink on Thursday night.
After an uneventful first period the teams combined for four second period goals with Abbate notching the eventual game-winner to break a 1-1 tie. Senior Alec LeFave (Hudson, N.H.) added his first of the year two minutes later and PSU tacked on a pair of third period scores to secure the league win.
Plymouth State improves to 8-7-2 and 8-1-1 in the MASCAC, while Worcester State drops to 5-10-1 and 3-7-0 in league play.
Plymouth State 5, Worcester State 1
Plymouth State (8-7-2, 8-1-1 MASCAC)
Worcester State (5-10-1, 3-7-0 MASCAC)
How it Happened.
- The first period had up-and-down action, but few scoring opportunities for either team.
- Plymouth State came out with high energy to start the second and nearly broke the ice in the first minute but sophomore Mike McPherson (Somerville, Mass.) rang the post.
- PSU would get on the board at the 3:15 mark when freshman Leo Stolpe (Stockholm, Sweden) banged home a feed from classmate Jacob Laurin (Stockholm, Sweden).
- The Lancers came right back to tie the game three minutes later when Revniaga came up with a turnover in the offensive zone and dropped the puck off for freshman Deiter Stange (Niles, Ill.) in the slot, who knocked it into the top right corner.
- Plymouth State jumped right back in front at the 11:26 mark when Abbate received a pass in the slot and whipped a shot just off the top right corner and in.
- LeFave made it 3-1 when he snuck a low angle shot past Tardif after the freshman Brandon Barillaro (Alexandria, Ontario) and sophomore Jarrett Slear (West Chester, Pa.) jarred the puck loose following a tie up along the end boards.
- Plymouth State added a pair of insurance goals late in the third period. Junior Peter Laviolette (Brentwood, Tenn.) cashed in on an open net after freshman goalie Nevin Tardif (Dunstable, Mass.) got caught way out of the crease and sophomore Ben Chipman (North Vancouver, British Columbia) squeezed a shot past inside the far side post from the top of the right face-off dot two minutes later.
Inside the Numbers:
- Abbate leads the Panthers with 10 goals and 15 points, while Stolpe picked up his seventh goal of the season.
- McPherson was credited with the assist on Chipman's goal giving him a point in five straight games.
- LeFave added an assist to his goal to record a multi-point game.
- Stange's goal for the Lancers was the first of his career.
- Worcester State held a 25-20 advantage in shots.
- Neither team was successful with the man advantage as the Lancers were 0-for-2 on the power play, while PSU went 0-for-1.
- The Panthers welcome UMass Dartmouth to Hanaway Rink on Saturday (Jan. 25) for another MASCAC clash. Puck drop has moved up to 6:00 p.m. due to an impending snowstorm.
– 30 –