Gerbner scores twice, Slear pots first career goal in win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Jake Gerbner (Havertown, Pa.) scored twice and sophomore Jarrett Slear (West Chester, Pa.) tallied his first collegiate goal as the Plymouth State University men's ice hockey team topped the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, 7-3, in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) battle at Hanaway Rink on Saturday night.
In a hard-hitting encounter, the teams combined for 18 penalties and nearly 70 penalty minutes, but at the end it was Plymouth State running away with the conference win. UMass Dartmouth opened the scoring midway through the second period, but the Panthers erupted with four straight scores to build the lead. UMD pulled to within two, 4-2, with six minutes to play, but PSU added a pair of empty net goals and Slear's first career tally capped the scoring in the final minute.
Plymouth State surges to its fourth straight win to improve to 9-7-2 and 9-1-1 in the MASCAC, while the Corsairs drop to 5-10-2 and 4-5-1 in conference play.
Plymouth State 7, UMass Dartmouth 3
Plymouth State (9-7-2, 9-1-1 MASCAC)
UMass Dartmouth (5-10-2, 4-5-1 MASCAC)
How it Happened.
- UMass Dartmouth struck first blood when junior Dillon Radin (Long Beach, N.Y.) took a shot from the top of the circle off a face-off and beat PSU senior goaltender Andreas Pettersson (Trollhattan, Sweden) to the stick side at the 8:52 of the second.
- PSU tied the game five minutes later when senior Drake Longaker (Gilroy, Calif.) whipped a shot from the blue line past freshman goalie Daniel Davidson (Surrey, British Columbia) to the glove side on the power play.
- Junior JR Barone (West Chester, Pa.) scored his 30th career goal to give the Panthers a 2-1 lead. With 3:12 left in the period he collected a rebound and shot it far post.
- The Panthers pushed the advantage to 3-1 a minute later when Gerbner banged home a rebound on the back door.
- UMD thought it had cut the margin to 3-2 five minutes into the third when senior Sean Leonard (Rockaway Park, N.Y.) rang the far post on a wrist shot, but the goal was called off due to goaltender interference.
- Freshman Marcus Seidl (Stockholm, Sweden) made it 4-1 when he stuffed a shot through the five-hole on a pass from behind the net at the 13:33 mark of the third.
- The Corsairs pulled to within 4-2 when junior Kai Kapossy (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) fired a wrist shot to the stick side from the face-off dot 30 seconds later.
- Following a pair of PSU penalties with four minutes to play, UMD pulled its goalie to create a 6-on-3 opportunity, but Gerbner cleared the puck the length of the ice into the empty net to make it 5-2 with 3:48 remaining.
- Senior Cameron Mack (Long Beach, Calif.) blasted a wrister into the open net after Pettersson was caught out of position to trim the deficit to 5-3 just 32 seconds later, but sophomore Mike McPherson (Somerville, Mass.) added an empty netter for the Panthers with 1:44 to play.
- Slear capped the scoring with his first career goal when his shot from the top of the circle snuck through the five-hole.
Inside the Numbers:
- Gerbner notched his first career two-goal game, while McPherson tallied a goal and an assist to stretch his consecutive points streak to six straight games.
- Longaker also had a multi-point game after logging a goal and an assist, while Pettersson recorded his second career assist – both coming this year.
- PSU went 2-for-5 on the power play and added a short-handed goal, while UMass Dartmouth was 1-for-4 with the man advantage.
- Plymouth State held a 48-27 edge in shots.
- Pettersson improved to 8-3-2 after making 24 saves, while Davidson turned aside 41 shots but fell to 1-4-2.
- Plymouth State heads to Salem State next Saturday (Feb. 1) for a 1:00 p.m. contest.
– 30 –