Gerbner's first career hat trick leads Panthers to win
WORCESTER, Mass. – Junior Jake Gerbner (Havertown, Pa.) recorded his first career hat trick to lead Plymouth State University to a 5-2 win over Worcester State University in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) men's ice hockey game at the Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center on Saturday night.
Worcester State took the lead midway through the first period, but Gerbner pulled the Panthers even in the final minute of the period. The Panthers scored three times in the middle stanza, including a pair of power play goals, and Gerbner capped his career night with an empty net score in the final 30 seconds of the third.
Plymouth State improves to 12-9-2 and 12-3-1 in the MASCAC, while the Lancers fall to 5-16-2 and 3-12-1 in conference play.
Plymouth State 5, Worcester State 2
Plymouth State (12-9-2, 12-3-1 MASCAC)
Worcester State (5-16-2, 3-12-1 MASCAC)
How it Happened.
- Worcester State struck first 6:37 into the first period when junior Matthew Manning (Novi, Mich.) skated along the left side during a 2-on-1 and fired a shot to the top left corner.
- The Panthers pulled even with 59 seconds left in the period when Gerbner grabbed the rebound of a shot from the point and backhanded it past the Worcester State goalie to make it 1-1.
- PSU pulled ahead with 5:31 left in the middle stanza. Sophomore Mike McPherson (Somerville, Mass.) took a shot from the left side and the rebound went right to freshman Myles Abbate (Norwell, Mass.) who was all alone on the back post.
- Plymouth took advantage of a major penalty to push the lead to 4-1 by the end of the period. Junior Brett Backman (Cos Cob, Conn.) was parked in front of the goal, picked up a loose puck and wrapped it around the goalie at 18:37 and Gerbner tipped in a shot by senior Drake Longaker (Gilroy, Calif.) at 19:19.
- The Lancers got one back 3:08 into the third when sophomore Brian Smith (Dracut, Mass.) slipped a low angle shot in from the left side to make it 4-2.
- Gerbner capped the hat trick with an empty net goal in the final minute.
Inside the Numbers:
- Gerbner recorded his first career hat trick and has scored in two straight games.
- Abbate's goal was his team-leading 14th of the year. He and Backman each tallied a goal and an assist.
- Junior JR Barone (West Chester, Pa.) and Longaker each tallied two assists. Longaker has picked up five assists over the last three games.
- Senior Andreas Pettersson (Trollhattan, Sweden) made 30 saves for the Panthers to improve to 11-4-2, while senior Josh Reinstein (Woodland Hills, Calif.) stopped 36 shots but fell to 1-5-0.
- Pettersson picked up his fourth career assist, all coming this season, and second in as many games.
- PSU travels to UMass Dartmouth on Thursday (Feb. 20) for a 7:20 p.m. league game with the Corsairs.
– 30 –