Panthers post late rally before Lasers pull out victory
NEWTON, Mass. – Senior Anthony Saitta (Derry, N.H.) shut down all chances of a second overtime Wednesday afternoon, scoring his fifth goal of the season with 40 seconds left in the first extra session to lift the Lasell College men's lacrosse team over Plymouth State University, 12-11, in non-conference action at Grellier Field.
The Lasers earn their first win of the season at 1-2, while the Panthers suffer their second straight loss at 0-2.
PSU scored three unanswered goals in the fourth quarter to come from behind and take a 11-10 lead with less than five minutes remaining, but sophomore Ryan Madden (Hingham, Mass.) found the back of the net for Lasell with 1:26 left in regulation to complete his hat trick and force the tilt into overtime.
NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse
at Grellier Field, Newton, Mass. – Wednesday, March 8, 2017
Lasell 12, Plymouth State 11 (OT)
Records: PSU 0-2; LC 1-2
* Madden's three goals was a team-best in the high scoring affair, while Austin Shindoll (Denver, Col.) and Austin Tomasetti (Elmsford, N.Y.) finished with two scores apiece. Matt White (Falmouth, Mass.), Alex McCormack-Kuhman (Wells, Maine), Connor Johnson (Hampstead, N.H.), and Michael Susi (Gorham, Maine) accounted for the remainder of Lasell's offense.
* Seniors Nicco Sorrentino (Chelmsford, Mass.) and Colin Claflin (Pembroke, Mass.) were the two lone Panthers to score 2+ goals, with Sorrentino notching a hat trick in the effort. Junior Cam Cormier (Auburn, Maine) chipped in with a goal and two assists.
* Neither team broke a two-goal lead margin throughout the contest, as Susi and Tomasetti started things off with a pair of unassisted goals to open up. The Panthers, however, fired off three straight shots to the twine from Sorrentino, Clafin, and Pete Allen (Newbury, N.H.) to end the first quarter tied at 3-3.
* The score would deadlock twice more at 4-4 and 6-6, before the Lasers scored the next three of four goals to seize a 9-7 advantage at the end of the third period. Jorge Salazar (Waltham, Mass.) kept the Panthers at bay with 10 saves in the frame.
* The hosts' lead wouldn't last long, as the Panthers doubled Lasell's fourth period scoring (4-2). Down 10-8, Sorrentino got one back with seven minutes to play, Cormier tied it up with a man-up goal with six minutes to play, and senior Mac Tetreault (New Durham, N.H.) scored the temporary go-ahead goal with 4:55 on the clock.
* Madden forced extra time with 1:26 to go, and nearly closed the door for Lasell with :52 left, but Plymouth freshman keeper Charlie Harrington (Walpole, Mass.) came up with the shot, as both teams headed into OT.
* Plymouth State earned the opening faceoff, but quickly turned the ball over. Harrington again stopped Madden's shot to frame, but another Panther turnover kept possession in favor of the Lasers. Harrington recorded his second and final save of the overtime period on a shot from McCormack-Kuhman, before Saitta register the game winner.
* Salazar's career-high 22 saves earned him his first win of the season in net (1-2), while Harrington drops to 0-1 on 14 saves.
* Both teams are away on Saturday, March 11 for their next contest. The Lasers head to Kean University for a 4:00 faceoff, while Plymouth State heads to Norwich University at 1:00 p.m.
(Courtesy of Lasell Sports Information)
-- 30 --