Four goals in final two minutes lifts Panthers
CASTLETON, Vt. – Castleton University and Plymouth State University engaged in a hard-fought defensive battle until the final period Tuesday afternoon, when the Panthers scored the final four goals of the match in the last two minutes to defeat the Spartans, 10-6, in a non-conference collegiate men's lacrosse contest at Spartan Stadium.
PSU recorded its first win of the season, improving to 1-2, while Castleton drops to 2-3.
With the score tied at 6-6 late in the fourth quarter, PSU scored the eventual game-winning goal with 2:18 remaining in the period as senior Mac Tetreault (New Durham, N.H.) set up sophomore Chris Waterbury (Clinton, Conn.) for his first goal of the season. Senior Pete Allen (Newbury, N.H.) scored one minute later to give the Panthers a two-goal lead, and then Plymouth State took advantage of a man-up situation, as seniors Adam Haversat (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) and Colin Claflin (Pembroke, Mass.) each scored in the final minute of the game.
NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse
at Spartan Stadium, Castleton, Vt. – Tuesday, March 21, 2017
Plymouth State 10, Castleton 6
Records: PSU 1-2; CU 2-3
* Senior Nicco Sorrentino (Chelmsford, Mass.) led the Panthers with three goals and one assist, while Tetreault finished with two goals and two assists. Sorrentino's goals all came in the middle two quarters, helping PSU to a 3-3 tie entering the fourth quarter, and Tetreault had two goals and an assist in the final frame.
* Louis Alhage tallied three goals and one assist to pace the Spartans, and Jason Sedell collected three assists.
* Defensively, senior Nick Bath (Kennebunkport, Maine) caused five turnovers for PSU, while Haversat finished with six ground balls and four caused turnovers, and goalie Charlie Harrington (Walpole, Mass.) collected 10 saves in the winning effort. Peyton Faasse led the Spartans with four ground balls and four caused turnovers, and Brandon Myron made 11 saves during the contest.
* With the score tied 3-3 heading into the final period, Tetreault scored eight seconds into the quarter to give Plymouth State a one-goal lead. Junior Drew Lederer (Jefferson, Mass.) notched his first goal of the season three minutes into the fourth period to extend the Panther advantage to 5-3.
* Alhage took a pass from Sedell one minute later and found the back of the net, but Plymouth State reestablished a two-goal lead on Tetreault's second tally of the game with 9:29 remaining. Alhage completed his hat trick with an unassisted goal with 6:08 left on the clock, and then Sam Frackleton picked up his second goal of the season with 4:39 to go to tie the game at 6-6.
* Neither team scored in the first period before Sorrentino broke through for the Panthers with consecutive goals in the second period. Sedell set up Alhage for Castleton's first goal of the game with 22 seconds remaining before halftime, and then Alhage found Nik Rancourt for a man-up tally early in the third period to tie the game at 2-2.
* Isaac Devoid gave Castleton a 3-2 lead with 8:40 remaining in the third period on a goal off a Sedell assist, but Sorrentino completed his hat trick three minutes later to pull Plymouth State into the 3-3 tie.
* Plymouth State took 26 of its 38 shots in the second half as the offensive intensity ramped up further into the contest.
* Plymouth State remains on the road to take on Plattsburgh State Thursday at 4 p.m. Castleton hits the road this weekend for games at Southern Maine Friday at 2 p.m. and at Maine Maritime Saturday at 1 p.m.
(Courtesy of Castleton Sports Information)
-- 30 --