Fourth-quarter rally lifts Panthers over Cadets
NORTHFIELD, Vt. – Plymouth State University scored three straight goals in a four-minute stretch in the fourth quarter Monday afternoon, breaking a 7-7 tie and going on to an 11-8 victory over Norwich University in a non-conference men's lacrosse game at Sabine Field.
Seniors Mac Tetreault (New Durham, N.H.), Colin Claflin (Pembroke, Mass.) and Nicco Sorrentino (Chelmsford, Mass.) tallied consecutive goals for PSU in the fourth quarter rally. Sorrentino finished with a team-high three goals, while junior Galen Antolino (Exeter, N.H.) added a pair as the Panthers improved their record to 2-3.
Matt Shea led the Cadets with a career-high three goals, while Connor Bourque chipped in with two as the Cadets dropped to 2-5 on the season.
NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse
at Sabine Field, Northfield, Vt. – Monday, March 27, 2017
Plymouth State 11, Norwich 8
Records: PSU 2-3; Norwich 2-5
* The first half was all PSU as the visitors were up 4-0 after one quarter and 7-1 at the break. Six different players accounted for PSU's goals, with Sorrentino scoring twice. Shea tallied Norwich's only goal in the second quarter when PSU was leading 6-0.
* Norwich regrouped at halftime, and the Cadets came out and dominated the third quarter. They outscored the Panthers 5-0, and outshot them, 10-2, cutting the deficit to 7-6.
* Norwich tied the game 29 seconds into the fourth quarter, but the Panthers answered with the three-goal rally to take the lead for good.
* Senior long-stick midfielder Adam Haversat (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) led the Panthers with seven ground balls, and sophomore short-stick midfielder Casey Elkins (Stow, Mass.) collected four ground balls, two caused turnovers, and a goal.
* Senior goalie Jayson LaRiviere (Chelmsford, Mass.) made nine saves for Plymouth State, earning his first win of the year. Sophomore Ian Kriger (Burlington, Mass.) made seven saves for Norwich.
* Plymouth State is back in action Wednesday at 6 p.m. at Clark University in Worcester, Mass. Norwich hosts Maine Maritime on Wednesday at 3 p.m.
-- 30 --