Sorrentino records season-high six points to lead Panthers
BUZZARDS BAY, Mass. – Senior Nicco Sorrentino (Chelmsford, Mass.) notched a hat trick and three assists for a season-high six points Tuesday evening to lead Plymouth State University to an 11-9 non-league college men's lacrosse victory over Massachusetts Maritime at Clean Harbors Stadium.
Senior Mac Tetreault (New Durham, N.H.) also scored three goals for the visitors, and sophomore Chris Waterbury (Clinton, Conn.) added two goals and an assist. Junior Kyle Stockman (Ballston Lake, N.Y.) also had a strong performance with a team-high six ground balls while winning 14 of 20 face-offs.
NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse
at Clean Harbors Stadium, Buzzards Bay, Mass. – Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Plymouth State 11, Mass. Maritime 9
Records: PSU 3-4; Mass. Maritime 4-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Sorrentino scored twice in the opening quarter and assisted on two others to stake the visiting Panthers (3-4) to an early 5-0 advantage. Goals by junior Keaghan Bartley (Richmond, Va.) and freshman Michael O'Brien (Marshfield, Mass.) in the final 1:49 before intermission enabled the host Buccaneers (4-2) to close back to within four (7-3) at the break.
* The two teams traded two tallies each in the third stanza before freshman Benjamin Avakian (Bourne, Mass.) pulled Massachusetts Maritime to within three (9-6) with 9:16 remaining in the contest, but Plymouth State regained a pair of four goal leads midway through the final frame on markers by Tetreault and Waterbury.
* The hosts closed back to within two on goals off the sticks of Bartley and sophomore Ben Barattini (Osterville, Mass.) over the last 2:13 of action, but that would prove to be the final margin.
* The Panthers also received single tallies from senior Alex Croatti (Brunswick, Maine), junior Drew Lederer (Jefferson, Mass.) and sophomore Jake Burns (Salem, N.H.). Senior Pete Allen (Newbury, N.H.) chipped in with two assists for Plymouth State, which also received a helper off the stick of senior Adam Haversat (Cape Elizabeth, Maine).
* Bartley recorded a hat trick and two assists to finish with five points in the setback for the Buccaneers, who also received a goal and an assist from senior Ryan McNeill (Burlington, Mass.) on the night. Sophomores Cody Livermore (Ludlow, Mass.) and Eli DiTullio (Marshfield, Mass.) also netted markers for Massachusetts Maritime, which received assists from senior Marshall McCarthy (Duxbury, Mass.) and sophomore Zack O'Brien (Lakeville, Mass.).
* Senior Jayson LaRiviere (Chelmsford, Mass.) picked up the win in goal for Plymouth State with an eight-save effort, while sophomore Michael Dolan (McLean, Va.) also made eight stops in the setback for Massachusetts Maritime as each team had 26 overall shots on the evening, with the Panthers holding a 19-17 edge in shots on net over the Buccaneers.
* Plymouth State hosts UMass Dartmouth on Saturday in the first Little East Conference game of the season. The game will be play at the New Hampton School in New Hampton, N.H., beginning at 10:00 a.m.
* Massachusetts Maritime heads to Springfield on Saturday afternoon to take on the Pride in a New England Women's & Men's Athletic Conference match beginning at 1:00 p.m.
(Courtesy of Mass. Maritime Sports Information)
-- 30 --