Sorrentino, Haversat lead Panthers to third straight victory
SALEM, Mass. – Senior Nicco Sorrentino (Chelmsford, Mass.) scored four goals and added two assists Monday evening as Plymouth State University earned a 13-4 victory over Salem State University in Little East Conference men's lacrosse action at Alumni Field.
The Panthers built a 6-1 halftime lead and cruised to a nine-goal win. Plymouth State posted its third straight victory to improve to 5-4 overall and 2-0 in the Little East while the Vikings slide to 2-7 and 0-2 in conference.
PSU dominated the possession game as the Panthers won 17 of 19 face-offs and led the ground ball battle 42-25. Junior Kyle Stockman (Ballston Lake, N.Y.) won 10 of his 11 face-offs while freshman Amani Mwingira (Plymouth, N.H.) captured 6-of-7 and senior Adam Haversat (Cape Elizabeth, Maine), PSU's all-time leader in ground balls, matched his career -high with 13 ground balls.
NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse
at Alumni Field, Salem, Mass. – Monday, April 10, 2017
Plymouth State 13, Salem State 4
Records: PSU 5-4, 2-0 LEC; SSU 2-7, 0-2 LEC
HOW IT HAPPENED
* In a game that was originally scheduled to be played in Plymouth, N.H., the Panthers opened the game with four unanswered goals in the first period. Lucas McCue (Brunswick, Maine) scored the first goal and was followed by Sorrentino at the 8:35 mark. Galen Antolino (Exeter, N.H.) pushed the lead to 3-0 before Mac Tetreault (New Durham, N.H.) potted back-to-back scores, the second on a nice feed from Haversat, staking the Panthers to a 5-0 lead at 13:19 of the second.
* Craig Denehy (Salem, Mass.) broke the string for Salem State as he notched a goal on an assist from Michael Trifone (Saugus, Mass.) with 6:10 remaining in the second. The Panthers got one back as Tetreault completed a hat trick late in the second period to give PSU a 6-1 lead at halftime.
* The Panthers extended their lead to 9-1 in the third as Drew Lederer (Jefferson, Mass.) scored a quick goal to open the period and was followed by Antolino's second of the game. Sorrentino then scored the next three goals for the Panthers, including a man-up strike as the lead grew to 11-1 early in the fourth. Alex Croatti (Brunswick, Maine) followed with another score before Ryan Geppert (Dover, N.H) closed the scoring for the Panthers.
* Salem State ended the game scoring three times to make the final 13-4. Tyler L'Italien (Haverhill, Mass.), Corey DaSilva (Townsend, Mass.) and Max Trifone (Saugus, Mass.) all added goals for the Vikings.
* Senior Jayson LaRiviere (Chelmsford, Mass.) picked up the win in goal, making five saves in 53 minutes and allowing just one goal, while Chris Schaub (Brewster, N.Y.) stopped 17 shots for the Vikings.
* Next on the schedule for PSU is Saturday's Little East Conference match-up against Eastern Connecticut State University, which will be played at a site to be determined. Salem State next hosts Western Connecticut on Saturday at 4:00 PM.
(Courtesy of Salem State Sports Information)
-- 30 --