Tetreault leads Panthers to fourth straight victory
HENNIKER, N.H. – The New England College men's lacrosse team saw its six-game winning streak come to a close Wednesday evening with a 13-7 loss to Plymouth State University in a non-conference, in-state battle at Don Melander Field.
PSU has won four in a row to boost its record to 6-4 on the season, while NEC falls to 7-5. The Panthers outscored the home team 10-3 over the middle two periods to secure the win.
NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse
at Alumni Field, Salem, Mass. – Monday, April 10, 2017
Plymouth State 13, Salem State 4
Records: PSU 5-4, 2-0 LEC; SSU 2-7, 0-2 LEC
* The Pilgrims received two goals from senior Sean Largay (Norwalk, Conn.). Junior Matt Richard (Weare, N.H.) chipped in with a goal and two assists, while freshman Jacob Blanchette (Weare, N.H.) and senior William Pendleton (Chalfont, Pa.) both tallied a goal and an assist.
* Sophomore Connor Fries (Barnstable, Mass.) had team-bests in ground balls and caused turnovers with four of each.
* Plymouth's Mac Tetreault (New Durham, N.H.) scored a hat-trick and added an assist for a game-high four points. Kyle Stockman (Ballston Lake, N.Y.) won 14 of the 16 face-offs he took on the day, while Adam Haversat (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) scooped up a game-high 10 ground balls.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* The Panthers were fast and physical from the opening face-off, and forced the Pilgrims into some poor passing in the early minutes of the game. Antolino opened scoring for Plymouth 2:57 into the first quarter, and a second goal less than a minute later put Plymouth State up 2-0.
* Plymouth State scored the first two goals of the second quarter as well to lead 4-0 before NEC got on the board with a Blanchette goal midway through the frame. It did little to sway Plymouth's strategy though, as the Panthers ended the first half with three goals in the final 5:23 to take an 8-1 lead into halftime.
The Panthers led 12-3 after the third quarter, but the fourth quarter was all NEC as they rattled off the four of the five goals in the final 15 minutes, including goals by Ricahrd, Largay and Fries all with under five minutes left in the game.
Plymouth State's Jayson LaRiviere (Chelmsford, Mass.) tallied six saves in the win, while NEC's William Platt (San Francisco, Calif.) had eight saves.
The Pilgrims resume North Atlantic Conference play on Saturday when they travel to Husson for a 3:30 p.m. game. Plymouth State travels to Eastern Connecticut for a Little East matchup on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
-- 30 --